Installing Outdrive

Gangly

Seaman
When installing the complete outdrive back onto a cobra sterndrive, is the allignment tool a must have to allign the gimball bearing and the engine coupler? I dont have one, but I wouldnt think its that big of a deal considering I havent installed a new gimball bearing and everything should still be in allignment. In your experience, was the allignment tool neccessary?

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing Outdrive

The engine has the ability over time to move all by itself, I wouldn't even contemplate putting a drive back on without making sure it is aligned, and making sure the shift cable is right

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought one. I have used it a few times. No, I have never had to mess with the alignment.

It was a peace of mind thing for me.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where you at? Maybe you could borrow one.

Gangly

Seaman

Im in Houston Texas. Thanks for all the information guys, I appreciate it. If somebody has one I can borrow, I will be happy to pay shipping both ways and throw in a little extra for effort.

Gangly

Seaman

Thanks for the link, just purchased it. $18 for shipping.....talk about killing the boat fund lol !!!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will get beat up for saying this but I take my lower unit off every other year (1st reason to beat me since it calls for every year) and I have never changed the gimbal bearing or used the alignment tool (reason number 2 I guess). My boat is a 1989 reniell. My engine and drive are very smooth operating and there is no noise to lead you to beleive anything was wrong with anything back there. The boat has 650 hours on it.