Cooling Question

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the thermostats in my 1996 90hp SPL. On running the engine up (on muffs) I noticed the water initially is not a steady stream but more of a hot water sputtering spray and air for about 30 seconds and then it goes to a heavy cool steam. It does this every time now when I start the motor (still on muffs). Have I done something wrong - or is that just the T-stats opening?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cooling Question

Running a high horsepower engine (yours) on a flushette.... the water must be turned on full force. Is it?

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running a high horsepower engine (yours) on a flushette.... the water must be turned on full force. Is it?

maybe not.....as high as it could go.......but never has a problem with the boat peeing right away before (but then again maybe the t-stats were bypassing...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I'm no where near as knowledgeable as the outboard guru Joe but I will toss out my advice. You should have an almost instant steady pee stream unless there's a foreign object creating a blockage in the pee tube. Did you decide to just replace them for just maintenance or was there a reason / problem for you to replace the T stats? I normally do the t stat/water pump repair all at one time as a cooling system overhaul. Make sure you put the grommets and stats in correctly and not in backwards accidentally.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Not sure of the 1996 design BUT normally there are holes or slots just above and to the rear of the cavitation plate on the lower unit. When the thermostats open, water will exist those holes/slots and not before.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you put the grommets and stats in correctly and not in backwards accidentally.

I have the cork seal on the recess of the housing, then the T-stat (big end on cork pointing toward cylinders) then the sealing gasket (I don't think the gasket goes between the cork seal and the T-stat according to the BRP diagram?). there was no way to go wrong with the white plastic valves and springs that I could see....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Sounds to me like you did it correctly, gasket, t stat with long side in toward power head, spring, gasket and plug. Does the lack of water flow from the tell tale and spitting of hot water before the solid cold flow happen only on the muffs?

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not had in the river to check it yet....hoping it is just a muff issue. The T-stats in there were totally froze up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The telltale is plumbed to get freshwater from the lower unit almost immediately. Before the thermostats. Don't take a chance. Borrow/rent a laser temp gun and check to see what temps the heads run at idle. Should be 145-150.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Borrow/rent a laser temp gun and check to see what temps the heads run at idle. Should be 145-150.

Did that before the t-stats were changed. Temp on all 4 were between 136 and 144