Minimum HP for Skiing?

Alan Calfer

Cadet
Is there a minimum horsepower outboard motor or towing a skiier? I know it probably depends on the size of the boat, etc, but let's just say it's a 14' runabout for example..

Or are there some KINDS of outboards that are better for skiing? less/more?

Thanks

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Minimum HP for Skiing?

On a light 14 foot runabout, a 35 hp will pull one medium size adult skier ok, with the correct propeller. Been there, done that, and very well. Btw, when I was a 75 pound kid, we skied behind a small Jon boat with a 5 hp Mercury, piloted by my cousin who was about the same size. Back about 1964.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

We learned on 35 hp 2 strokes on 14' boats in the early 60's. Later moved to larger engines and hulls.

I don't think I've even ridden in any small engine boat or boat less than 16' in the last 40 years.

If I was wanting a boat to pull a skier, I'd want one that'd be more seaworthy. A 17' bowrider boat with 115 hp outboard would be a good medium size, medium fast boat for family watersports.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It would help if you provided more info in your original post. Many of us have stories of minimal hp skiing.

Are you looking to buy a boat for skiing?

Do you have a 14' boat wondering if it is capable of towing if you get a different motor?

Is this a theoretical discussion about weight and prop pitch vs skier size and ski size?

Maximum allowable hp for a given hull is best. Minimal crew/passenger weight is best. Smaller skier with bigger skis is easier. Skilled driver and experienced skier is likely more successful... Lots of variables.

LudwigO

Cadet

I have skied behind a Terhi micro fun with a 9,9hp, but we couldn't start from the water. Otherwise we did most of our skiing with a 20hp Suzuki and an open 5m boat.

Later on we moved to 60hp.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Learned to do deep water Slalom starts behind a 14ft with 40hp. Then my dad got a 16ft with a 90, Later we skied behing a 14 ft car top with a 35hp. Width of the transom is very important as to how well the boat will pull a skier, the wider the better.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are in Florida you should just look around at what people are pulling skiers with. I learned at a very young age behind a wooden boat with a 35hp Johnson. At 12 I learned to barefoot behind a 15ft Cobia with a 65 merc. My last skiboat was Carlson Glastron CVX 16 with a hot 200Hp Johnson. We could deepwater start two 200lb barefooters no problem.
Point I am trying to make is 15-35hp is gonna cut it unless you have a very light child on two skis and not much boat.