Training boom

mavryk

Seaman
Anybody made a home made training boom? I have priced some and it is ridiculous how much they cost..... I work construction and feel confident I can build the same thing for under $50 and have it be totally safe. The biggest design question I have is how to attach the boom to the boat........ I will use 2 straps to the front to support the outboard portion of the boom, but want to attach the boom to the gunwhale in a way that is not permanent. Anybody got a design I could copy?

Thanks

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Training boom

How about fabbing up a bracket that has a smaller piece of pipe (4-6" long or so) that will slide into the end of the boom and drill a hole through the whole mechanism to insert a clevis pin? This would enable you to remove the clevis pin and remove the boom from the bracket when not in use.

sangerwaker

Commander

You need a means of adjusting the height of the gunwale mounted side. The outward part of the boom needs to be able to have some height adjustment. Not all people are the same height. :)

Put a hole in the end of the pipe and mount a u channel bracket on the gunnel with 6-8 holes spced every inch or so. Put a bolt or clevis pin through the u bracket and pipe once the pipe is positioned inside the u channel.

Something like this with more holes sized for the diameter of the pipe.

http://shopgalaxyhardware.com/media...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/L/AL-144.jpg

Be careful your first few times using it. Driving a non-tournament ski boat with a boom can be challenging. It really pulls the boat around. Hang on tight!

mavryk

Seaman

What is the approximate height above the water the bar will need to be at? I have designed an adjustment method that will allow for 8" of adjustment in 2" increments, need to know where to set the middle of the adjustment at in relation to the water.