Maxum vs. Sea Ray

araxton

Recruit
All
Brand new to site. This seams to be a common debate, but I would like to add my specifics and get some fresh feedback.

After an exhaustive search of express cruisers in my area (VA Beach), I have narrowed my choice to:

1. 2003 Maxum 2500 Se w/300hp Merc (40hrs - 35 of them last season) - This boat looks brand new and has been stored indoors. I like the trim and layout. It does not have camper enclosure or windlass. Also, bottom will need painted (+$1500)

2. 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer w 270hp Merc/Bravo III (240hrs) - Also looks very much like new - well cared for and was stored indoors. It does have camper enclosure, not sure about windlass, and has no stern shower.

Both are in excellent condition, similarly equipped (AC, GPS, electric head, hot water, etc.)

I know both were built by Brunswick, Sea Ray is the higher value line, Maxum out of business, etc.

Sea trialing both on Saturday and will decide which to survey and, likely, purchase - both same price.
I would value any insight from experience....

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Maxum vs. Sea Ray

Welcome to iBoats . . .

What size is the Sundancer ?

I am more partial to SeaRays, but the actual condition of the boat and the one that you like the best is what is important.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Some boat manufacturers don't make the quality that they used to. A Maxum is the high end of the cheap range. A SeaRay is the low end of the mid range. Comparing the 2 on "quality" is a wash.

Go with the one that has the layout, engine and condition that is the best. Neither is better than the other. If the condition is equal, or if a servicing dealer (or the one that originally sold the boat new) is right down the street, that would sway the decision.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Not much difference in quality - Sea Ray is still popular living off the OLD reputation and Maxum gave it too much competition. Had 3 boats with camper covers- used 1 twice at a tournament on Lake Ontario the other 2 were never used except by the kids when the boats were in the driveway.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1. 2003 Maxum 2500 Se w/300hp Merc (40hrs - 35 of them last season) - This boat looks brand new and has been stored indoors. I like the trim and layout. It does not have camper enclosure or windlass. Also, bottom will need painted (+$1500)

2. 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer w 270hp Merc/Bravo III (240hrs) - Also looks very much like new - well cared for and was stored indoors. It does have camper enclosure, not sure about windlass, and has no stern shower.

10 year old boat with only 40 hours, 35 last year which, let's see, using old math that means only about 5 hours in the first 9 years or so? That's usually not good letting a boat sit most of it's life......

The hours on the Sea Ray makes sense as that's just about what my 2001 'Dancer had when I bought in in 9/10.

Mark

hostage

Lieutenant

I would go with the Maxum, it seems to have a lot of what you want. IMHO I have a camper enclosure for my boat, I put it on once to try it out, then I used it for one camping trip in the boat. I bought a Bimini and use that. The camper enclosure is not all that great IMHO.