Thinking of installing bimini top braces. thoughts?

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I seem to be in a constant state of taking on and off the bimini top depending on if the family is with me or not. I was thinking of installing the braces so I wouldn't have to worry about it ripping off at full throttle and I could unfold it when the kiddos are on board. Thoughts from people who have had the braces?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking of installing bimini top braces. thoughts?

bikinilargeresize.jpgBlank boat.jpg101_0006.jpg

Let's see if I can find a couple of photos of my biminis. I made my own out of aluminum tubing and they do not really take much longer to raise and lower. I also added a diagonal so it is less whippy side to side.

I kept the straps because--why not?

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine have the brackets that are screwed to the boat and there is pins that you pull out to remove. takes about two minutes to remove.

bajaman123

Cadet

I'm in the process of installing a bimini on my Baja right now, as a matter of fact and have debated back and forth on the whole 'rear-brace' issue. With the straps, one is able to get a nice tight fit...I am not sure one can get the same level of 'tightness' using the rear braces?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Front straps put tension on the rear braces and the whole thing is just as tight as without braces. I prefer the braces because as I said, I added a diagonal on one side and it makes the top much less whippy, side to side.

I made mine from aluminum tubing salvaged from, I think it was, mop handles, and simply purchased the plastic ends. I find that there is no need for adjustable braces sold at 40 plus dollars.

I am so tight that I even made my attaching knobs from 1/4 inch stainless bolts with the heads cut off and bent 90 degrees. I carry a couple of extra in the boat. That way if I should drop one overboard while raising the top---no big whoop. Look closely in the first photo, just behind my shoulder and you will see the bent bolt holding the plastic fitting together.