97 bf30a carb issue

yama2323

Recruit
Aloha everyone from Hawaii....some carb issues. Rebuilding six carbs but found on carb one, cant get the screw plug off to get to the main nozzle/jet. Any suggestions?? Screwdriver just slips off the screw and started to strip the slot!!! Has anyone come up with this problem?? Need to get in there to clean the jets/nozzle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! New to this post, first post to this forum. Have been reading up on the threads and there are alot of positive info going on in here. Please help cause i am stuck!! Aloha.....

edmo

Seaman
Re: 97 bf30a carb issue

I might first try an impact screw driver. I have a manual one you tap with a hammer. Don't know about trying an electric or air driven one. otherwise only option is to drill it out using either a screw extractor or just drill as large as possible without getting into threads and then collapse sides with a small punch. good luck.

cabin10

Cadet
Re: 97 bf30a carb issue

If you have a battery operated drill with an adjustable slip clutch (most have them), set it at the lowest setting and try to back the screw out on low speed. By letting the clutch slip at a low setting, you'll create a kind of low impact hammer drill. If that doesn't work, go to high speed; then step up the clutch setting until you break it loose. This worked like a charm for me on an old Eska lower unit drain plug.