Serial number location on a remanufactured engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnul8tr

Seaman
Does anyone know where to find the serial number on a Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha 4v re-manufactured engine? There is nothing on the Flame Arrestor Cover, and there is nothing on the Upper Driveshaft housing. I know the remanufactured engines start with a different number. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Serial number location on a remanufactured engine?

Assuming it's actually a Mercruiser reman, the tag is in the same place as they would be on a new motor.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Assuming it's actually a Mercruiser reman, the tag is in the same place as they would be on a new motor.

Oh its definitely a reman, But it is a flame painted cover so there is no other details on it.

Attachments

• DSCN1325.jpg
    DSCN1325.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1367_sm.jpg
    DSCN1367_sm.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1

Don S

No, not the decal, the metal tag rivited to the the back of the block just above the starter. (Think digital camera)

MC SN Location.jpg

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Yeah I looked there too, put my hand down no metal tag at all. I'll take my little wand camera out and take another look.

Don S

Well, every Merc engine, remaned or new that I have ever installed came with installation instructions, and a warranty packet with all the serial numbers etc. Where did that packet go? Without that info, you can't get warranty.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Well, every Merc engine, remaned or new that I have ever installed came with installation instructions, and a warranty packet with all the serial numbers etc. Where did that packet go? Without that info, you can't get warranty.

The installation instructions were on a CD, I have the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty manual, but the numbers were never filled in by the company where I that installed the motor.

Don S

The installation instructions were on a CD, I have the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty manual, but the numbers were never filled in by the company where I that installed the motor.

You need to check with them and see if they still have the warranty paper work and forums. And make sure the registered it. One of the copies was supposed to go to you that had the numbers on it.

Fun Times

Staff member

If memory serves me correctly, Reman engines can only be registered by snail mail or phone. The mercruiser dealer website I "believe" is not set up for the Merc dealers to register Reman engines like they are a new engine.

Calling the mercruiser customer service phone number at 920-929-5040 should help verify this.
Contact Us | Mercury Marine

Good luck.:)

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Thanks, I will try both options in the morning.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

How is this for irony, the company that purchased and installed the motor for me called this morning wanting to know what the serial number on the engine was....:facepalm: I said I couldn't find it either :noidea: So now one of their techs is going to stop by later to see if he can find it..... They said on the phone the last long block they received from Mercury Marine didn't have a serial number on it either.... You think they would have recorded it before they installed it :doh:

Don S

If they ordered the engine from Merc, then Merc has a record of it and it shouldn't be a problem to come up with.

If they didn't order it directly from Merc, then you need to find out why they didn't if that's what you wanted. They may have ordered it through another supplier of Merc engines, then it up to them to find numbers.
Something not right in all this.

bcnul8tr

Seaman
Re: Serial number location on a remanufactured engine?**Update**

Re: Serial number location on a remanufactured engine?**Update**

So the tech from the company where I bought the engine from came out, and could not find the serial number either. They said they would contact Mercury Marine today. I couldn't wait for them so I called Mercury Marine directly, talked to a really friendly guy in WI, he saw the bill of sale on his computer, but there was no Serial Number on it. He put me through to the guy in charge of the Canadian branch in Burnaby BC, and he told me that they are not putting Serial Numbers on the engine anymore for Reman's, instead you just use the part number combined with the Bill of Sale and that gets you your warranty.... I thought that was kind of odd, :noidea: but they said this is a new thing......

trsail59

Cadet
Yeah I just found out the same thing...I wish mercury would have told me they were going to do this BS before I bought this engine.... without a serial number how do you insure your getting the correct parts... I have one of these motors... 13 months old and it's broken down and I can't even find a parts list to order from....!!!!

Fun Times

Staff member
trsail59 With bcnul8tr saying for Reman's, instead you just use the part number of the engine
Yeah I just found out the same thing...I wish mercury would have told me they were going to do this BS before I bought this engine.... without a serial number how do you insure your getting the correct parts... I have one of these motors... 13 months old and it's broken down and I can't even find a parts list to order from....!!!!
Though you do need to start a new thread of your own regarding the broken engine and where to find a parts guide to be within forum guidelines as this topic will remain closed behind me, I'll place a few questions to start plus a thought to help try and finish this topic off.

Would you happen to have the engine part number or any other numbers from the bill of sale or from the engine information packet? And/or a block casting number usually towards the rear of the engine.
There's no metal tag with a serial number just above the engine starter like the image below?
Are you in Canada too?
What engine model and fuel system is yours (Carb or MPI) and what stern drive model do you have?

As for the part number referenced by bcnul8tr, if true then sometimes the part number becomes a "Model Number" and in some cases you could try searching the part number online and come up with either some info regarding the general engine specifications or maybe even a parts list for it... If not then maybe a Mercruiser dealer might be able to find something or contacting Merc by email or phone like mentioned in my earlier posts above.

Create a new topic with all the engine info you know to have or can find including the/your engine year and if possible the Merc/GM letter codes as mentioned in the following link, http://boatinfo.no/lib/bulletins.html#mercruiser-service-2005_08

And we'll have a look around to see what we might be able to help find with you.
merc-old-sd-serial-number.PNG

Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.