looking for a used 4.3 V-6

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in central Illinois and would need a good used 4.3 V-6 vortec. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

PS what would be a good buy on one if I find one?

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: looking for a used 4.3 V-6

Check with local you pull the parts kind of places. You can get an engine from a truck or astro van for 2-250.00 with warranty.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with local you pull the parts kind of places. You can get an engine from a truck or astro van for 2-250.00 with warranty.

Marine motors have different cams and also a motor ran at low rpm's then high rpm's is a bad idea.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marine motors have different cams and also a motor ran at low rpm's then high rpm's is a bad idea.

Well, It's funny how truck "towing cams" and marine cams have the same int and exh duration and LSA. I guess somebody forgot to tell Comp, Lunati,Howards,etc etc. Oh well, Tried to help.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, It's funny how truck "towing cams" and marine cams have the same int and exh duration and LSA. I guess somebody forgot to tell Comp, Lunati,Howards,etc etc. Oh well, Tried to help.

Have you known anyone to have good luck with a truck swap?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought the head gaskets were different? Don't forget the brass freeze plugs.

LK

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you find a van or truck that has ONLY been run at low rpm's and you've really done something

I would (and have) swap in a marine cam, stainless head gaskets, brass freeze plugs and all marine accy's and run it.
If you have closed cooling (antifreeze in the block) you can skip the head gaskets and freeze plugs

Yes Lots of folks have had great luck w auto engines swapped in... Keep in mind tho that auto engines sometimes have a lower compression ratio than mercruiser and as such may have a little less hp .