BoatUS towing or Seatow?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: BoatUS towing or Seatow?

I have BoatUS - Hopefully never have to use them but it gives me piece of mind.

LK

tpenfield

Staff member

Depends who is more predominant in your area. Around my waters, SeaTow is more prevalent, so they are the better choice. Your waters could be different.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I have Boat US/Vessel Assist. Used last summer on lake Mohave when I had an electrical problem 8 miles from the marina. They came in about 30 minutes. More than paid for itself in that one tow. The electrical problem was an easy fix, but did not locate it until it was back on the trailer.

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat US for me at Lake of the Ozarks. Only time I needed it was before I had it, now I hope I never need it.;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You need local info. As between the two, it does not matter one bit what someone says from outside your area. They are franchises and quality is dependent on the operator, not the company. And a bad franchise owner can be replaced with a good one, so get current local info. It's like asking, which is better, a Ford dealer or a GM dealer?

At the local level, compare what each offers and most important the distance limitations. Pick one that is closest to where you plan to break down and closest to your home base, since the all charge by time based on when they leave their dock. For that reason, I keep both numbers handy and would call one or the other depending on where I was when I needed them (I have a wide range here).

You don't have to be a member to use their services; you just have to pay for it in one payment instead of annual installments. For some it makes economic sense to pay annually, but not for everyone--especially when you factor in your boat insurance paying the first $500 or so (check your policy). or in my case, having the choice.

ausstone

Recruit

Thanks everyone. I'm in the Boca Raton, FL area.

Towing isn't covered by my insurance.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You would think it would be better to go with the one that has resources in your area, but when I needed Towboat US and they weren't on my lake they sent someone anyway (called a local marina and picked up the tab).

Attachments

• towed.JPG
    towed.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Thanks everyone. I'm in the Boca Raton, FL area.

Towing isn't covered by my insurance.

I'd look into that.

Also if you are in a small boat and usually out with lots of other boats--and real boaters, not just boat owners--you may get along "relying on the kindness of strangers" as Tennessee Williams said.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a paddle, and an inflatable with a 15hp on it.

If something goes wrong with my boat, I tow it myself... or get out the paddle (which is a bit ridiculous with a 38ft houseboat).