Stainless v/s Aluminum

Tim Bell

Cadet
How much performance gain is there between Aluminum and Stainless props? Is there enough that the average guy could tell?

Tim

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Stainless v/s Aluminum

Stainless steel is a much stronger material than aluminium which enables the propeller to be manufactured with a thinner blade section. If the leading edge is thinner less air bubbles will be formed on impact and thus cavitation is reduced. A thinner blade is much more efficient that a thicker one. Aluminum will also flex a bit under load, wheras the SS will not much.
Hundereds of dollars difference between Alum and SS. To gain maybe 3% performance improvement, your call...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There are some al props that can deliver close to ss performance. The Turning Point Hustler and the Solas Amita and Rubex
are 2.The Rubex is same as the Amita with a removable hub.
I believe both companies use "Squeeze cast" technology for stronger finer props.
I think entry level ss props are only slightly better than a good al prop correctly setup.
Its very likely if you have an "average" setup we could probably help you gain some performance
without spending buckets of money.
If you answer the questions in the stickys at the top of the prop forum we may be able to help.

tpenfield

Staff member

I think that you would have to be an above average guy to tell the difference. You find SS props once you get into the higher power engines . . . in the lower HP ranges, not as big a difference.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think that you would have to be an above average guy to tell the difference. You find SS props once you get into the higher power engines . . . in the lower HP ranges, not as big a difference.

That's my understanding. Somewhere as you pass through the 150-200hp range, stainless has a distinct advantage....noticeable to the "average" boater.

Put enough power to it and even a high dollar stainless prop has limitations. :eek:

Attachments

• 1001644_532756096784654_1698222142_n.jpg
    1001644_532756096784654_1698222142_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Noticing the difference is kind of like noticing the difference between a fiberglass rod and a quality graphite/boron rod. Once you have enough experience and education, you start to appreciate the finer capabilities... True for most any sport equipment too... I'd take a SS prop over an aluminum one for any motor myself. But they simply don't make many for the lower HP engines as they do for the high performance machines. But SS props hold up a whole lot better in the long run...