1976 Mercruiser no tilt/trim

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not a mechanic and know next to nothing (ok, nothing) about outdrives.

My dad's old Cruisers with Ford 302 and Merc outdrive locked up in the raised position. I did a little research and based on input from seemingly knowledgable sources came to the conclusion one or both of the rams had corrosion on the piston so I removed them both and looked into getting them rebuilt. When I removed them I noted that I couldn't collapse them with my weight.

Now I have new advice that has me questioning their failure. I have now been told that good rams when removed can not be collapsed either, that this is normal.

So, this old boat is sitting waiting for a fix. My dad won't put more money into it and wants to sell it as is (no takers yet) or donate it. He has $1000 in repairs into the boat already and just wants it gone.

Can you give me a straightforward troubleshooting process to diagnose the trim problem?

I can have the boat if I want it (don't think I do), but I would like to see it fixed, sold to a new owner who will appreciate it and put some money back in the old man's pocket.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1976 Mercruiser no tilt/trim

I have now been told that good rams when removed can not be collapsed either, that this is normal.

Ayuh,.... That's False info,..... With the oil lines off, they should collapse with moderate pressure,...

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put new o ring kits in my trim rams. One of the internal cylinders was rusted and the floating pistons on both were binding. Once rebuilt both move in and out nicely by hand. rebuild kits can be had on ebay for $35.00 for each cylinder. I am actually going to order another set and rebuild my spare rams.

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Based on Bond-o and cantaris I will look into the rebuild kits...these cylinders can not be budged for anything with my 170lb pushing down on them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Based on Bond-o and cantaris I will look into the rebuild kits...these cylinders can not be budged for anything with my 170lb pushing down on them.

Time to rebuild or replace. The should move easily once the oil is out. With them still full of oil they move a little slower because of the small hole for the oil to get out, but they still move easily.