1970 mercruiser 325hp ignition

wheelerdealer

Recruit
I have a pair of 1970 GM 427 325hp mercruisers in my old wood boat. They have a semi electronic ignition system with a trigger assembly in the distributor instead of points and a switchbox that takes the trigger output and fires the coil. Does anyone on this forum know how to test the switchbox, coil and trigger assembly? Also, I have been able to find a new aftermarket switchbox and trigger assembly but can't find the trigger assembly any more. Any ideas would be very much appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1970 mercruiser 325hp ignition

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It might be cheaper, 'n it will be easier to just swap in New Delco Est systems,....

All brand new, 'n state of the art,... pretty reasonable too,...

wheelerdealer

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about that, too. These parts are getting harder to find and they just don't seem to be reliable.

I assume that would mean new distributors. Would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction to get the details of that conversion?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about that, too. These parts are getting harder to find and they just don't seem to be reliable.

I assume that would mean new distributors. Would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction to get the details of that conversion?

Ayuh,... A quick search of this forum will bring Thousands of conversations,...

This is what those conversations are 'bout,...

Unless you've got what's known as a Tall Block, it oughta be a drop-in, plug, 'n play,...