Best way to protect from over heating

agallant80

Commander
I have been wondering about this. Say for some reason you stop pumping raw water in to the system (you suck up some sand and destroy the impeller, plastic bag gets sucked in etc). If there is no water going over the temp sender it won't be able to know how hot the motor is getting, the only way you will know that you are over heating is after somthing bad happens. So how do you potect against something like this happening?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best way to protect from over heating

Before the impeller completely fails, you'll likely see an increase in temp.

Another way might be to put a gage in the raw water circuit from the pump prior to the t-stat housing.

Measure the water pressure and note the minimum at idle or medium RPM etc.....

Install a pressure switch (not unlike an oil pressure sw) that will activate a light and/or buzzer below the minimum pressure observed during normal operation.

Regards,

Rick

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your exhaust temp sensors are likely to sound the alarm pretty early. If you hear it right away, I don't think you'll be running hot for too long.

agallant80

Commander

I was windering if the guardian system would alert me to this. Now that I think of it the garden hose and muffs don't create enough pressure and an alarm sounds due to that.