1970 GRADY WHITE CUDDY???

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the chance to get a 1970 21Ft Gradywhite cuddy, that was converted from an I.O. to an outboard. The Boat has an outboard on it now>>>a 85Hp. <br />I have not seen this yet>>>just talked briefly with the owner on the phone. He is selling it without an engine. I have a 1971,18ft Westwind with a fresh 1978 115Johnny & would be pulling the engine off the WestWind to put on the Grady.<br /><br />Does anyone know anything about the 1970, 21ft gradys??? Are they fiberglass hulls??? I aked & he said it was glass & wood>>>I don't know if he meant wood substructure, or wood hull with glass skin??? Its a lapstreak hull from what I see in the newspaper add>>>>I just can't get to see it until later in the week.<br />IS ANYONE FAMILURE WITH THESE BOATS??? And could you give any advise??? <br />I am looking to upgrade for inshore ocean fishing instead of always being in the bays. I LOVE my WestWind, shes in great shape>>>but it is only 18ft with 7 1/2ft beam & a modified Vee>>>bangs in rough water!<br />THANKS!!!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970 GRADY WHITE CUDDY???

It is most likely fiberglass but if you e-mail the company they can tell you... The older Grady’s were made to look like a lapstreak construction. I would also think that this boat would be grossly underpowered with a 115hp. That boat with original engine probably weighed around 3000lbs so I would guess that it is still well over 2000lbs. At that weight you will be working a 115 very hard.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply! The current owner "Claims" he got 30 mph with the 85hp>>>Not to bad in my book, but I can't varify because the engine is off, and the boat is on jacks. My current boat is a heavy 18ft & does over 35mph with the 115.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a link to Grady's cust. service.<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />They emailed me some pictures from the 1982 line when I was shopping for mine. Good Luck!<br /><br />My new used Grady..... :) <br /><br />
f89a8181.jpg

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet sweet boat there, Capt'n Mike!!!<br />GOT TO LOVE THOSE GRADYS>>>Love your home port too. Been up there a few times & I "talk" to a fellow on Ham radio from up that way too<br />I wish I could say I liked the New England Pat.s as well (I'm a big NY Jet fan ;) )<br />GO SOX!!!

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

21 Straight wins Boilermaker, oh, make that 6 :p <br /><br />I've seen a couple of those Grady's around here that have the lapstreak look, but they're fiberglass. Classics!! <br /><br />Thanks for the compliment on my boat, buddy told me I had to come up to Maine last year and check out his neighbors boat, wasn't even boat shopping at the time. Had a new 350 MerCruiser MAG MPI with 130 hrs (straight inboard-unique for a Grady), radar, new canvas, new cushions, new stereo, autopilot, the works. Guy was asking 20k, but when the marina topped off the tanks last winter they told him one was leaking, I haven't verified this (it's been drained and disconnected), ran all summer on the other 55 gallon tank. Brought it home 144 miles from Maine too, stopped for gas once. Anyways, could have just been hose leak, need to pressure test it. BUT, I got the guy down to 11k, as is. Will replace both tanks next winter, after trucks paid off, it's doable with the one 55 gal....... :)

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, you got Belichek after he put in 12 Hrs as the head coach for the Jets>>>I will NEVER forgive that. I know its fair play after Parcels left the Pats for the Jets & we DID trade all those draft picks for CURTIS MARTIN ;-)>>>but I'm mighty happy with the first 5 & 0 season in the 40 years I've been a Jet fan.And I'm a MET fan>>>NOT the Yanks! I was happy to see em go down!<br />WOW>>>WHAT A DEAL on your grady!!! 9 grand for a leaky tank that may have been a loose hose clamp!!! GREAT for you>>>congrats. Would have loved to had made that voyage with you!!! What part of Maine??? I need to get away from NewYork when I'm ready to buy a newer boat!!<br />I don't know if I want to spring for the 21ft Grady. He wants only $500, but its out of the water & the deck is sagging>>>& I know what that means. He wants to get rid of it before the end of the week to avoid storage fees>>and I don't like to be pressured. I at least know what I have with my 18ft WestWind.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Yanks went down all right!!! LOL<br /><br />Just on the other side of Bath, Maine (Bath Iron Works). Georgetown Island, came down the Sheepscott River in the fog (learned radar real quick). Longest boat ride I ever went on. And I was a happy/nervous captain to boot!<br /><br />Marina wanted 5k to rip up decks and replace both tanks. I can do it for under 2k myself.<br /><br />That Grady would be a great project boat! But if you already have a running, working, stable platform.......<br /><br />I'd imagine the decks are wood, glassed over? That's not too big a deal......

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys here is my Boat 1977 21 footer Grady white with Johnson 200HP, if your boat is similar to mine then don't even batter 115hp it is not going to do it, This boat is extremely heavy you will need at least 150hp to get 30 to 35mph, I do 55mph on my with calm seas with ruff seas believe me I need that extra power. You will love the boat it will handle ruff seas like no other boat I ever had. Hope this help<br /><br />ps: Soon I will be asking for some help in restoring some spot on the floor<br /><br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sportcraft17/MVC-018S.jpg <br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sportcraft17/MVC-017S.jpg

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

eula30<br /><br />Nice! What does that say on the side? Just Grady? Is that before the merger of Grady and White? Classic!!!<br /><br />Here's an article you may enjoy.....<br /><br /><br /> The Walkaround That Started It All

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

EULA30>>>that looks EXACTLY like the grady here, except the boat here isn't in as good shape!<br />I think your right>>NO WAY 115HP Johnny x-flow would be enough power>>>I think 175 MIN>Maybe 225.<br />As much as I would like to get it as a project boat & to have a good ocean going vessel>>>I think it will have to wait>>>I don't have the room OR the funds now to take that on! :rolleyes: :( :rolleyes: <br />THANKS to all who responded!

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Luna Sea, on the said it say Grady White Boats.<br />Hey that was a really nice article; I wish I get more articles like that about Grady White Boats.