Starter wont spin flywheel

egscharf

Seaman Apprentice
1997 Johnson 115 SPL (Non-VRO)
Starter spins flywheel for a brief couple seconds, then stops altogether. I can spin the flywheel by hand, but it does seem to bind up in a couple areas. Batteries are both good, connections are all good. Replaced both starter and starter solenoid, but the issue persists.

The only thing I can think to do is to put some 2-stroke oil in a spray bottle, remove my spark plugs, and spray a bit in each cylinder. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

EvstaG

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starter wont spin flywheel

If it feels like the flywheel is "binding in a couple areas", the starter is likely not the largest of your worries at this point. The first thing we should do is determine the origin of this issue. Is the boat new to you and it has been like this since you obtained it? Have you had it for a while and it just recently started acting up? Was it simply "one day its fine sitting in the driveway and the next its broken" Or was it a gradual decline that you noticed?

egscharf

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starter wont spin flywheel

Ive owned it for a while, it never used to do this, then one day it started doing it. Used to always sprin with ease, now it simply doesnt. I wonder if its just from sitting without use for a month or so?