Mariner 115 won't start

butchthefireman

Recruit
I started my Mariner 115 yesterday after it had sat all winter and spring in my garage. I winterized last fall by fogging carbs and spraying fog in each cylinder after removing spark plugs. Engine started right up and killed a handful of times before idling for 10 minutes. All seemed find. I took a short coffee break and went back outside maybe a half hour latter and went to start the engine but now just turns over. I check spark and each plug does have spark. Also I do have fuel on each plug. Still wont start. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated. I did put a fresh set of plugs in and no help. Thanks Butch

dethalis

Cadet
Re: Mariner 115 won't start

I assume it turns over... did you put fresh fuel in or did you use fuel stabilizer? Does it prime up ok? What year is the engine and is it a 2 or 4 stroke?... I am wondering if you have a problem with phase seperation of the fuel.. it is where the chemicals in the fuel seperate. In ethanol fuel this is much worse as it will leave the ethanol seperated from the gas and usually on the bottom of the tank and will look like water... in non ethanol its what causes the fuel to turn to a syrup type substance. I would suspect you dump the tank and refill with non ethanol + fuel stabilizer and some fuel treatment like seafoam all per directions and she will pur like a kitten... unless of course you have other issues...

butchthefireman

Recruit

I assume it turns over... did you put fresh fuel in or did you use fuel stabilizer? Does it prime up ok? What year is the engine and is it a 2 or 4 stroke?... I am wondering if you have a problem with phase seperation of the fuel.. it is where the chemicals in the fuel seperate. In ethanol fuel this is much worse as it will leave the ethanol seperated from the gas and usually on the bottom of the tank and will look like water... in non ethanol its what causes the fuel to turn to a syrup type substance. I would suspect you dump the tank and refill with non ethanol + fuel stabilizer and some fuel treatment like seafoam all per directions and she will pur like a kitten... unless of course you have other issues...

It does turn over. I did put sea foam in when I stored last winter. It is a 1995 Mariner 4 stroke engine. Engine did start right up and idled fine. Ok I'll give fresh fuel a try tomorrow. Thanks Butch

dethalis

Cadet

Seafom is more or less a cleaner... Stabil is a better stabilizer. I would get some non ethanol fuel say 90 octane or above and a new fuel filter if you haven't already replaced it. If it has a primer bulb make sure its getting firm if not repalce it with mercury oem parts as aftermarket ones will come apart and cause more issues.

butchthefireman

Recruit

Seafom is more or less a cleaner... Stabil is a better stabilizer. I would get some non ethanol fuel say 90 octane or above and a new fuel filter if you haven't already replaced it. If it has a primer bulb make sure its getting firm if not repalce it with mercury oem parts as aftermarket ones will come apart and cause more issues.
Fresh gas new fuel filter and new bulb still no start?

dethalis

Cadet

What does it do when you try to stsrt it? Does it seem flooded? Try full throttle when starting it.. no choke see if it will get going.. may need to have carbs cleaned or the fuel pumps are going.. does the primer bulb get firm?

butchthefireman

Recruit

What does it do when you try to stsrt it? Does it seem flooded? Try full throttle when starting it.. no choke see if it will get going.. may need to have carbs cleaned or the fuel pumps are going.. does the primer bulb get firm?
It does turn over and the plugs do have gas on them. Bulb does get firm. Still scratching my head. Plugs do have spark. Thanks

dethalis

Cadet

Bad electrical packs on the side of the engine.. or bad ignition coils.. I would check the packs but they are right expensive