Mercruiser 470 Oil Pan Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

barko

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I have a 18' 1977 Bowrider Fiberform with Mercruiser 470. I have oil leaking coming from the valve cover and side cover before, that makes the around of the oil pan wet. I replaced the valve cover gasket and the side cover gasket. This lessens the oil that building around the oil pan. I'm not seeing anymore a line of oil at the side of the engine going down, only I noticed that there's still oil around the oil pan and also at the very back of the engine (oil pan). I suspect that it is coming from the bolts of the oil pan or the oil pan gasket is hard and needs to replace.

My question is: Is there anyone out there tried/attempted to replace the oil pan gasket without removing the engine from the boat?

Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 470 Oil Pan Gasket

My question is: Is there anyone out there tried/attempted to replace the oil pan gasket without removing the engine from the boat?

There is no way you are going to do it with the engine in place.

You don't have to take the engine out of the boat, but You at least have to raise the engine up high enough to get the pan off.

barko

Cadet

Thanks Don for your quick response!

If the engine will be lifted what are the components around the engine that needs to be detached?

Thanks again

Don S

If the engine will be lifted what are the components around the engine that needs to be detached?

Remove the drive
remove the 2 rear mount bolts
Remove lag bolts holding front mount to stringer.
Fuel lines, electrical cables, throttle and shift cables, cooling hoses, exhaust and anything else attached to it and lift it up.

barko

Cadet

wow lots of work just to replace the gasket and for sure there will be broken parts on the way :facepalm:
haayyyy..... any inspiring advise Don?

Shall I leave it like that until the engine get toast.

Thanks again.

Don S

wow lots of work just to replace the gasket and for sure there will be broken parts on the way :facepalm:
haayyyy..... any inspiring advise Don?

Shall I leave it like that until the engine get toast.

Thanks again.

Sorry it requires work,
I'll look around and see if I can't find an EZ button for you to push that will do the work for you.

May take awhile for me to find it.

barko

Cadet

Sorry it requires work,
I'll look around and see if I can't find an EZ button for you to push that will do the work for you.

May take awhile for me to find it.

Don't be sorry and thanks to your INSPIRING advise.
Take your time and if you do found it, keep it you might need it too in the future.
Cheers.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Don't be sorry and thanks to your INSPIRING advise.
Take your time and if you do found it, keep it you might need it too in the future.
Cheers.

You are asking someone for inspiration, or if you should leave that oil leaking engine in your boat until it is toast?
What kind of answer do you expect?
My brother had thousands of hours on his 470, and it was economical to run. Maybe investing a few hours to lift that motor up isn't such a bad idea?

barko

Cadet

Maybe you misunderstood our conversation, I understand his (Don) reply thats why I move on to the next question that "I wait until the engine toast"
He answer me that he will find a EZ button to fix my issue if you are in my shoe are you satisfy on that answer? Mr. ricohman?

On the other hand you commented only to my reply are you going to comment with Don's reply? Come to think of that?

But anyway Don sounds his teasing me so I replied with teasing too. Don has been so helpful for so many boat questions to me and I salute him.

Cheers.

mtaf

Recruit
Just pulled my 3.7 merc to do some preventive maintenance. the only way to do it right. I was pulling the stator charging system and replacing with a alternator kit from Breezeworks. I had heard that the water pump seals should be replaced as well before there would be seal failure. I purchased all the gaskets and seals and have the motor on an engine stand. I can't see an easier way to do this. You can clean everything up for a leak free reassembly. It also gives you a chance to check out the seal surface on the camshaft which is a known problem. I was lucky with the camshaft having minimal grooves. used some 320 grit sandpaper and cleaned it up. The engine is in my 1988 Sportcraft 205 fisherman that I purchased new. It only has 625 hours on it, but I am glad I'm doing doing this now. Just retired and I believe by doing all of this I should have years of trouble free boating. This also gives you a good look at the cooling hoses. Sorry if this is long winded, I worked industrial maintenance for 40 years and just wanted to do this job just one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.