Anyone know the weight of a 1966 Evinrude 60-HP SportFour?

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to put my 1966 Evinrude 60-HP SportFour up for sale and have been trying to find specs on this motor but have not had any luck. I know its heavy compared to newer 60-HP outboards but I would like to know the exact weight. I had considered trying to weigh it on my small package scale but if I can find the specs for this motor instead, I think it would be much easier.

The outboard is the original motor off my 1966 Starcraft Jupiter and it was a Michigan boat. I plan on using the boat in saltwater and re-powered the boat with my 1985 Johnson 115 V4. I know the Evinrude was winterized 5 or 6 years ago just before the original owner passed away. I have not even bothered to do anything with the motor other than remove it from my Starcraft. I am sure it will need the points cleaned before starting but I plan to sell it as is with controls, cables, & wiring harness. Should I attempt to sell it whole or would I do better parting it out? Trying to add money to my Starcraft restoration fund.

Thanks in advance for any info on this motor.IMG_6566.jpg

pckeen

Commander
Re: Anyone know the weight of a 1966 Evinrude 60-HP SportFour?

You may find that this motor is actually substantially lighter than modern fourstrokes: changes in technology have typically made them heavier, rather than lighter over the years.

Can you give us the model number of the motor - it may be on the transom bracket somewhere. You may find that a search for the model number of the motor will give you the original manual online...which would give you the weight.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I have found my answer for the weight. Dry weight 225-Lbs. Can anybody confirm?
Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I think I have found my answer for the weight. Dry weight 225-Lbs. Can anybody confirm?
Thanks.

It all depend on shaft length and if the engine has a standard gearcase or the heavy duty (Old V4 50hp type) gearcase.

15" Shaft
Std GC = 225 Lbs
HD GC = 230-1/2 Lbs

20" Shaft
Std GC = 230-1/2 Lbs
HD GC = 236 Llbs

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the info.

It is the 20" shaft.
As for the gearcase, I am assuming that it is just the standard one.

IMG_0296.jpg

Now to just figure out if it would be better to sell it complete, or part it out?
I don't see many classic outboards around my area anymore.

pckeen

Commander

Depends on whether you want to have a partial motor hanging around for some time....months....years....you may be able to make more money by parting it out, but you'll probably be sitting on it for a while. There's a certain pleasure in finding someone interested in fixing it and selling the thing whole.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is the std gearcase.