74 25hp evinude spark issue

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have replaced the points and condensers. now I got no spark on the bottom cylinder.

I think I must have a wiring/issue.

1.I have continuity across the two trigger wire to the plug coils with one of the points at the full oppenposition(.020) and the other fully closed.

2. I have a continuity across a individual point when they are open.

3. and it seen I always have continuity to ground from the following parts.

both side of points opened
trigger wires at coils
trigger plate to ground

4. tested the trigger wire disconnected from the points and coil and I don't have a ground so the wire are good.

5 I have the driver coil wires one to each point(is this correct)

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 74 25hp evinude spark issue

Did the bottom coil fire before you replaced the points etc?

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah but it was weak that is why I replaced them.
I actually got it firing again on the bottom with a different coil now but it it still not as strong as the top plug.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I got it now, one of the trigger wire connectors was no getting good contact.
Thanks Joe