Removal of mid 70's 1500 mid unit

Hi, I bought a mid 70's Blue Band 1500. It needs a lot of TLC. The engine isn't on a boat and I have removed the lower unit and now I'm trying to separate the engine from the mid unit. I have a Mercury shop manual and have remove everything that it says to remove but the port side towards the front is sticking. What have I forgotten? I have attached a couple of pics. The lower unit has already been removed.
Starboard side of engine showing how it's opened up nicely.
100_5704.jpg

Port side showing area towards front of engine which won't budge.
100_5702.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removal of mid 70's 1500 mid unit

Did you get the two nuts in the front, pretty much directly under the carbs, straddling the steering arm? You have to loosen them, lift the powerhead an inch or so, and then remove them.

BTW the original nuts would have been stainless steel. Is that what you have there? They are pretty rusty.

Also the gasket will stick the powerhead to the midsection pretty good. Put your hands high up on the powerhead and give her a good push to break it loose.

Re: Removal of mid 70's 1500 mid unit

"Did you get the two nuts in the front, pretty much directly under the carbs, straddling the steering arm?
BTW the original nuts would have been stainless steel. Is that what you have there? They are pretty rusty."
Yeh they're off. This engine has been poorly maintained and quite a lot of the stainless nuts and bolts have been replaced with steel.

"Also the gasket will stick the powerhead to the midsection pretty good. Put your hands high up on the powerhead and give her a good push to break it loose."

I think that's my problem, it's just really sticking. I was concerned that I may have missed a bolt or nut but it seems I have them all off or loose. Thanks for the advice

Steve