Playcraft Deckboat - floor and foam redo

kleabo

Recruit
Hi all Newbie here.
Please don't bash me for my questions. I am a single female with a big project. I have been trying to educate myself on here and boy I have learned a lot.
Just want to show you my project and get any input.

I have included some pictures and one with some questions.

1. When I tore apart the boat the center area was filled with water. The carpet was just on plywood no fiberglass in the center part at all so I believe that was the issue. After I cleaned it out I noticed that there was not a hole of any sort for water to get out. I am assuming this was meant to be watertight and plan on making it that way.. as best as I can. Would this be a correct assumption?

2. There was a sub-floor with nothing under it. Then between that and the deck was poured in foam. Do you think it would be okay to use the pink sheets here?

3. The poured in foam in this area all along both sides of the boat seem dry and intact. Think I should leave alone?

4. The fiber glassed wood along the sides is good... few rot spots were removed. I plan on making supports and then fiber glassing ext 1/2 plywood (2 layers on top and and one on bottom) and just joining up to what is there. Would this be okay to do.

Thanks again for all the knowledge and help - Kim

Attachments

• 20130521_121608.jpg
    20130521_121608.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130521_182425.jpg
    20130521_182425.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130525_143025.jpg
    20130525_143025.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130525_143043.jpg
    20130525_143043.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Playcraft Deckboat - floor and foam redo

Decker is currently working on a deck boat, so he may be a great resource:
1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

His tear down:
attachment.php

But some of the stuff in this pix makes me think that it's been torn into previously:
attachment.php

Where you have chunks of foam pulled loose & in a pile, what's the whitish stuff below those chunks?

Notice how Decker's has LARGE 'curds' of foam compared to the somewhat smaller 'globs' of foam in your's?

I don't know nearly enough about deck boats or their construction, but this central are that had un-glassed plywood (sounds like it was opened before) is likely supposed to be a completely foam filled space, w/ no holes:
attachment.php

Many boat makers make their boat hulls this way. If its foam filled 'solid' compartment, water should never get in, so it doesn't 'need' to get out. In a perfect world where boats are stored well covered, bow up, dry, and w/ any & all drain plugs removed, yeah ok maybe.

Read thru some resto threads, water always seems to get into these sealed 'water-tight' compartments....

Welcome to the iboats dry dock.

kleabo

Recruit

Thanks so much for the reply. I will go look at his thread.
The white under the foam was another plywood floor... under that was nothing.
I do wonder if it was a redo - because that area was never fiberglass.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What year & model Playcraft?

Give it a day or 2, post up any pix you can. Not so close you can't get a reference of what you're looking at & not so far away that you lose detail.

Photobucket is a free service, and will allow you to post the pix big & IN your post instead of as attachments.

You want to take a ton of pix, you can't post too many, just 5 per post though. Take & keep LOTS of measurements. You'll want to make sure nothing you don't want moved moves, and to be able to put it back so it all fits & works as it's supposed to. I like to shoot pix w/ the tape measure visible:
GEDC0354.jpg

It isn't fun, but relax, get a beverage of your choice & start poking around the resto threads. You will see who frequently posts & helps, who & where to go to ask/look for info. yYou may need to build a cradle to adequately support your hull (see decker's thread), many build double duty cradles: 1 'setup' for demo & beginning put back, another for flipping the boat on it's lid & working on the hull bottom. It's got quite the large hull, again see decker's thread. He still has his flipped 'turtle' and has been working exceptionally hard to get the hull bottom where he wants it.

None of the pending work is easy. Get yourself GREAT PPE (personal protection equipment) and some tools. 4.5" grinder & flap wheel or sanding discs (multiple grits), a multitool (dremel cutoff saw), a GOOD respirator, safety glasses, tyvek jump suits (more then a couple), baby powder, sawzall, circular saw, and that's a good 'start'.

If you're in the US post up your state or add it to your profile. Different parts of the country have different polyester resin & fiberglass suppliers. No need to pay hazmat shipping from FL to send materials to Idaho, if WA has a decent supplier........

Good group @ the resto forum, they won't let you down or lead you astray.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome Kim,
What JC said ^^^^ is spot on...
Get yourself immersed in some info and ask a ton of questions and post many pics...
We'll be here to help any way we can...
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Gus