Omc upper unit gear question

Painter mike

Cadet
I have a 88 reinell 200B.. The out drive is a model number 985271 5.0L. The engine is a 5.4 Litre Chevy ... I can't find that option for the gears as they only offer 5.0 and 5.7 for Chevy. Is this a 21/16 , 21/17 or 21/18 gear ratio??? The OMC number is 504APRGDP ON TOP OF THE ENGINE.. HOPE THIS HELPS.

bradb

Cadet
Re: Omc upper unit gear question

There is no such thing as a 5.4L chevy.

From your part number, you have a 5.0L

A 5.0 uses 21/17.

Painter mike

Cadet

There is no such thing as a 5.4L chevy.

From your part number, you have a 5.0L

A 5.0 uses 21/17.

It has 5.4 Litre written on a sticker on both valve covers.. I checked and there's a Chevy 5.4 Litre 327 ... There's also a 5.4 Litre ford... I'm confused. How to know if Chevy or ford.. I not really a motor head.. YET...
THANKS FOR INPUT...

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a Triton... but it's a crate motor... not the original engine - it was not offered - so the gears will be what the original motor was, and that sounds like a 5.0 liter... so as mentioned 21/17

Chevy never called their 327 a 5.4 liter - as it was never offered when engines started being called by liters instead of cubic inches... the Triton will replace the 302 offered for that year

Painter mike

Cadet

It's a Triton... but it's a crate motor... not the original engine - it was not offered - so the gears will be what the original motor was, and that sounds like a 5.0 liter... so as mentioned 21/17

Chevy never called their 327 a 5.4 liter - as it was never offered when engines started being called by liters instead of cubic inches... the Triton will replace the 302 offered for that year

So it's the ford ... Thanks

bradb

Cadet

There was no small block Ford offered in 1988. Is the distributor at the front of the engine or the rear of the engine toward the stern?

bradb

Cadet

Now that that is out of the way, why do you want to know the gear ratio? You plan on changing them?

Painter mike

Cadet

Now that that is out of the way, why do you want to know the gear ratio? You plan on changing them?

Yes after a friend changed the lower end gear oil he filled from lower screw not center so upper was low on oil and smoked the upper gears... Was thinking of getting gears with the bearings and a seal kit and having my mechanic buddy fix it...

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you can disassemble the gearset first. I have seen the teeth fragments get so hot that the destroy the housing making it impossible to disassemble.

Painter mike

Cadet

Won't know until tomorrow when I take it apart.. Hopefully it's fixable otherwise I might be shopping on EBay..