1971 mercury 1150

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 1971 mercury 1150 what I am wondering is is there a way to start motor without the harness hooked up to boat

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1971 mercury 1150

Yes. BUT not a good idea. You can run 12 volts to the starter solenoid + lug and to the + from the Ing(battery jumper from + term) to start it. You also need to short the nuatral safty switch connections at the plug. Once started, you have no way to turn it off. The Ing switch provides a ground to kill the motor. Pulling 12 volts off doesn't work because the charging coil is suppling 12 volts to the coil after it starts. Pulling the short off the nuatral switch does no good either. As it is only used to complete the starting circuit.

After rereading your post, It appears you have the harness there with the motor. Just not connected to the boat. You can start the motor provided the nautral safty switch and throttle are connected. But be damn sure the motor is SOLID on the transom or a test tank. The last thing you want is a runaway meat grinder!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Quad is not exactly correct on his description of the ign system. That motor has a battery powered CDI ignition with a distributor. To hot wire it, you would need to connect two battery cables from the battery + post to the pos side of the starter solenoid, and from battery neg post to the frame. Run a jumper wire from the pos side of the starter solenoid to the red wire on the switchbox. Run a jumper wire from the red wire on the switchbox to the white wire next to it on the switchbox. The white wire needs +12VDC in order to produce spark. Now momentarily jumper the yellow wire on the starter solenoid to the red battery cable ont he starter solenoid, and she will crank. Add some choke (pull up on manual choke know), and she may start. Disconnect the jumper to the white wire to stop motor, should it start to run.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

I appreciate both of your replies I have it on a wood stand that i made from direction i found on here. So I will beef it up some and see if it will fire

i

i

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Well Chris your instructions worked perfectly. After sitting a long time it started right up ran cool. after letting it run awhile I cked compression 135 to 140 all 6 cyl. I know this is a loaded ? but I have know use for this motor but I have know idea its worth anyone have a idea approx worth It also shifts into fwrd and reverse as it should

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Old motors like that are worth what someone will pay for them. I would think a few hundred $ would be in ballpark.

emckelvy

Commander

Check your local Craigslist and see what a comparable motor is going for, it's certainly worth more running than not!

Cheers.......ed

mr 88

Commander

Is it a short or long shaft motor ? Do the controls come with it ? Power Tilt N Trim ? Gas tanks ? Long shaft with nothing else a few hundred to 500. Short shaft with Tnt and controls,700-900 depending on market.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Long shaft no power trim I do have metal gas tank. I appreciate all the replies