1971 2 HP Johnson Sea Horse

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor has been given a lot of tlc and now pumps water like a rock star, starts on three or for pulls and has plenty of power. I have one problem though. When I start it cold and advance the throttle I get real strong power which levels out to pretty good power when warmed up....then when I shut it down it wont start unless it cools down. I was given a new plug and told it is the cross referenced alternate for the discontinued plug. That is not true. I found it needs a j6c or something like that and i have the part number but both marinas could not get it. the plug in the head now looks like the original but I have a feeling this is the issue?? other than hard starting after initial start she runs like a champ.:grumpy: also , i have tried playing with the choke to restart

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 2 HP Johnson Sea Horse

Is the plug wet with gas when it won't start?

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1971 2 HP Johnson Sea Horse

I got the right plug and now i am done! Runs amazing! Pumps water starts up on first pull when warm second or third cold and holds a low idle. This thing was picked out of the trash seized and with a bad capacitor, water impeller and grommet for the pick up tube and now she is as good as new.