Johnson 60HP VRO '88 NO Trim/Tilt & Engine not Cranking HELP!!!!

freema

Recruit
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I need some help. I have a Johnson 60HP VRO 1988 with Trim & Tilt and Electric Start (CJ60TLCCR). The last time I used it, the trim and tilt worked fine, and engine started with no problem. I let the engine run and warm up for a few minutes. I engage reverse and when shifted forward the engine stalled.... I tried starting it again, NOTHING. Also, I tried to operate the trim/tilt button on the remote and NOTHING. I can hear a very low "buzzing" noise. The battery is good, checked voltage, checked the small 20A fuse and it's fine. I suspect from reading many posts that my problem might be in the remote control unit. I would take it to a shop BUT this engine is on a 26' pontoon FAR AWAY FROM CIVILIZATION!!!! Typical Canadian cottage... I'm seeking some idea as to what to check and maybe some parts to purchase in order to have everything on hand during my next trip. Also, if anyone as the proper wiring diagram that would help me troubleshoot the electrical system would be helpful. I did consult "TASHASDADDY" Top Secret File and found some diagram and other information.

Please help!!! Thanks.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 60HP VRO '88 NO Trim/Tilt & Engine not Cranking HELP!!!!

Check the battery connections and clean them spotless with a wire brush. If that doesn't work check all connections from the motor to the battery. It might also be a sulphate short in a cell in the battery. Have you tried jump starting with a known good battery?

Edit: I somehow missed the bit about it being at the cottage, but I really think it is likely just a bad connection or a shorted battery. Take a fresh battery with you along with some jumper cables. You can always hotwire it if the remote is truly the problem.

freema

Recruit

Check the battery connections and clean them spotless with a wire brush. If that doesn't work check all connections from the motor to the battery. It might also be a sulphate short in a cell in the battery. Have you tried jump starting with a known good battery?

Edit: I somehow missed the bit about it being at the cottage, but I really think it is likely just a bad connection or a shorted battery. Take a fresh battery with you along with some jumper cables. You can always hotwire it if the remote is truly the problem.

I think we can rule out the battery as this is the first thing I checked; connection, clealiness, voltage, etc... Also, It cranked fine before stalling. Hotwire may get the starter turning but the engine may still not run and tilt/trim will not work either. Could it be a bad key switch??

** Cottage = fishing camp far away from home....

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

No ned to rub it in. I get it. A battery can test fine with a multimeter but will not deliver enough amps to drive the starter and the tilt. That's why load testing is needed to truly evaluate a battery's condition. It sure sounds like that is what is happening, but who knows. Also, If you jump the ignition wiring you can still run the trim and motor etc, as long as you jump the right contacts on the back of the ignition switch. The first post here has a diagram of the wiring to the switch. Just jump "A" to "B" then using jumper cables touch the 12v terminal on the starter with the positve lead and it should turn over. That is a last resort of course if the ignition switch itself is hooped.

Did you test the ignition switch with the multimeter?