Wiring harness suggestions '74 70 HP

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been tracking down some electrical/ignition issues on my 1974 Evinrude 70 HP. One mechanic said he believed that I had a short between the motor and the remote control. The harness had lots of places where electrical tape was used for repairs. So this looked suspect.

I pulled the tape to find the wires (battery and control bundle) to look in tact. The tape was patching spots where the original (40 yo) cable sheathing was deteriorated and broken. It can be torn by hand.

I assume this is just mechanical protection. I am looking for suggestions to replace this covering. It is 1 inch ID. If I had to pull something over it , the "red plug" near the motor flywheel is 1.5 OD. Have thought about split loom corrogated tubing but I dont think this holds up well to UV rays. Also thought about a bike inner tube that might give me about 6 feet lenght.

Any thoughts from the resto guys.......or others.......

WD

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring harness suggestions '74 70 HP

How about some vinyl with sewn in Velcro or zip tie's .. What ever color you like ..

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is a 77 I used zip ties to hold it together. I''m just finishing my restore so this is not on my priority list right now, I thought about getting a bicycle inner tube and cutting it to fit and secure it back with zip ties again. If you find one let me know.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replys. I ended up with two possibles. Bought some 1 inch vinyl hose and split it lenghtwise. Then bought silicone tape 1" wide. This stuff is amazing. Way better than vinyl electrical tape. You know how that stuff moves when its hot and leaves a sticky residue. The silicone is rubbery, stretches, makes a waterproof seal and then cures in 24 hours. I replaced a lot ot electricians vinyl in my motor housing with this stuff.

Also found braided harness on eBay. 10 feet for about $10. It stretches to pull over the plug end and then contracts again for a nice tight fit. 1" nominal will expand to 1.5 inches. This may be what is used in new outboards. Not sure. Mine is almost 40 years old!!!

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replys. I ended up with two possibles. Bought some 1 inch vinyl hose and split it lenghtwise. Then bought silicone tape 1" wide. This stuff is amazing. Way better than vinyl electrical tape. You know how that stuff moves when its hot and leaves a sticky residue. The silicone is rubbery, stretches, makes a waterproof seal and then cures in 24 hours. I replaced a lot ot electricians vinyl in my motor housing with this stuff.

Also found braided harness on eBay. 10 feet for about $10. It stretches to pull over the plug end and then contracts again for a nice tight fit. 1" nominal will expand to 1.5 inches. This may be what is used in new outboards. Not sure. Mine is almost 40 years old!!!

I like that.