Couple questions about old Evinrude

pstldrvn1

Cadet
I've had no luck with getting these answered.. 1st, I need to know what the broken hose is (red circle) and what it goes to... 2nd, if the starter in the other pic is properly put together?. the bendix will spin up to flywheel when engaged but doesn't drop back down after. is it supposed to always be touching the flywheel??... just don't want to try to start this old motor before i check on those two things.. any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• hose2.jpg
    hose2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • starter3.jpg
    starter3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Couple questions about old Evinrude

Know nothing about that motor, but I do know some folks on here have some insight. What does the other end of the hose lead to? I don't see your motor on Shop2evinride but I do see '68 model, maybe similar. If you can tell what the hose leads to it might help. Starter Bendix, No it should not stay engaged to the fly wheel. Maybe try: remove starter spray a little oil on the shaft/spring. Probably corroded a bit. Clean mating surface of stater to block + bolts and thread wholes. Good Luck!
Gotta love them Muskies @ Cave Run!

the bendix spring may be weak but thats no biggy as the bendix will be spun down by the flywheel when the engine starts as long as it still moves freely

From the photos it looks like you might have a model "C" carburetor with a hot water choke. If indeed that is the case the hose would connect on a nipple that would be located behind the starter. As others have stated, without the year and model of the engine it makes it difficult to say for sure. If the bendix is sticking change it. (It looks like its missing a part or two anyway). Should it stick in the flywheel with the engine running and go un-noticed you will at best damage the starter, or worse damage the ring gear on the flywheel that may no longer be available as a separate part and leaving you with the only option of getting a complete flywheel assembly...not cheep! When you replace the bendix, clean any rust off the motor shaft with very fine emery cloth before you install the new bendix assembly. Hope this is some help.

Papa :fish2:

pstldrvn1

Cadet

Thanks all.. the motor is a 1963 lark v 40hp. #40373... the hose is coming from the engine just beside the carb. there is a smaller hose below it that runs to what i believe is the carb solenoid. i cant see and nipples or anything that it would run to. i was thinking maybe its just a vacuum line or something... as for the starter, i myself thought it looked like some pieces were missing. maybe i can find a bendix kit and change it all out.. or maybe just go old school and pull start her :laugh:

lindy46

Captain

1963 Lark would have had the hot water choke, but I don't see the choke in your picture. Maybe someone changed out the carb, or removed the choke, as they weren't very reliable to begin with.