3.0 merc alignment issue

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice
Having problems aligning my 2006 3.0 liter merc. Pulled the outdrive to replace bellows and shift cable. Came of easy. Now I can't get it back on. I have an alignment tool and it will only go in up to the splines. It won't go in to the spline part of the coupler. The engine only has an up down front adjuster and fixed rear mounts. I greased up the tool and noted we're it's hitting. Looking from the stern forward it is hitting the splines at the 10 to 11 o'clock position. It looks like the engine needs to be adjusted left to right not up down. The mounts In the back look good. And the bunks are solid with no rot. I am at a loss as what to do. Any way this can be moved sideways ?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 3.0 merc alignment issue

Sounds like the Starboard engine mount needs to go up some more. The Port may need to go up or down but adjust the Starboard first and recheck.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alignment tools can be a funny creature sometimes. I've had one with an attitude for years where it slides right in on one transom assembly, then a couple weeks later it doesn't seem to want to play the same when I pull the drive off the same boat. Make sure you check your tool for rust or out of roundness. The 3.0 alignment is also another sneaky engine where sometimes it appears to need to go port to starboard or vise versa but when you go up or down it lines that puppy up just right. I would keep track of how many turns you go up and check alignment every second turn along the way. If it seems to be getting worse, bring it back to where you began then start counting on the way down. If this doesn't work out for you I'd simply try to install the drive again to see how you fare. I am assuming you have an Alpha 1 so remember to have your control box in the full forward WOT position and have the gear case shifted into forward as well. The shift lever on the gear case will be facing straight forward and you will need to gently spin the prop counter clockwise to lock it in forward gear manually. Seat the gear case as far into the transom as you can, while making sure not to bump the prop in the clockwise position or it will kick out of gear, then force your prop counter clockwise to rotate the gears to help align the splines with the coupler if they haven't done so already all while putting pressure on the gear case to set it back into place. I'm sure you probably already know the install procedure, but figured I would post it for you in case this is your first attempt. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the Starboard engine mount needs to go up some more. The Port may need to go up or down but adjust the Starboard first and recheck.

The 3.0 has a single engine adjustment right up front in the middle, not a Port and Starboard adjustment. :blue: But if it did have two, I would have to agree!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Rotate engine through 0-90-180-270 degrees and let us know if the alignment tool can or can not go in at those positions. maybe a coupler issue.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your gimbal bearing and make sure it's not 'gimbaled' to far one way of the other. You might have to give it a whack with your hand. At least it worked for me anyway.

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice

The engine has only one adjustable mount at the front. I've moved it through full up to full down. While having someone try to insert the tool continuously. I've also rotated the engine. At every position. The tool hits the coupler in the same place , at the 10 o'clock position. The gimbal bearing is new. The outdrive will not go in beyond about 1 inch into the splines. Is there anyway to adjust the rear mounts. It seems that this is the issue. Almost like one has to come up. But they look to be fixed to the transom plate.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

New Gimbal bearings can be very tight in their carrier... You may need to be a bit more 'severe' on it to get it to 'gimbal' in its carrier. Pull the alignment tool back about 1" once it bottoms out, then try moving the tool left and right, up and down. That should get the bearing moving and so you can try again...

Chris.....

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice

Would the gimbal make it this far off. The tool wont go into the spline part of the coupler. it hits the edge of the splines at the 10 oclock position.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That gimbal bearing will move in every direction you can imagine, and as far as you can see. It's not fixed in the carrier. Get your old one and twist the bearing in the carrier so it's 90 degrees to the carrier... Then have a look at the surfaces between the 2. It's design to move A LOT!!!

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice

That was it . The new gimbal was out of line. put the tool in and hit it with a brass hammer. lined right up. The engine alignment was perfect, showing even spline lines in the grease all around the tool. Out drive slid right in.
Thanks everyone for the help.