Bravo III 2000 Shifting Problem

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last time out boat spent most of the day anchored. I pulled up drive to to allow for falling tide. Upon departing l lowered drive partially until water depth increased then lowered drive completely. When shifting into for forward it seems to be popping in and out of gear (my best description) and actually felt a pulsation in shifter handle during the symptoms just mentioned. I stopped boat, raised drive to see if there was a visible problem with drive and lowered drive again. It shifted normally and in forward and reverse so I continued on my way. No problems. When I arrived at slip to back into my slip when shifting into reverse the same popping in and out of gear occurred and again I could feel pulsating in shift handle. Drive fluid level normal. Drive pulled at end of last season serviced by reputable firm.

Can anyone comment on this issue?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo III 2000 Shifting Problem

I would bet it's slightly out of adjustment from simple wear in the cable, and when trimmed up it didn't go into gear as normal.

If it works when down, I would keep going, then at the end of the season when the drive is pulled for winterization have the cable readjusted with the special tools, and get things all centered back up with the cable wear.
If the lower shift cable feels rough or stiff in it's operation, might be a good time to change it as well.

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bravo III 2000 Shifting Problem

Thanks for the reply. I had mechanic adjust the cables. He said that he only need to adjust slightly.

He noticed that I shift the boat too slowly. He reminded me to shift it quickly into reverse or forward. Water tested boat and could not duplicate the issue from weekend