STARTED SOMETHING TOO BIG?

MESS147415

Seaman
hello fellow boaters. Ive bought a winter project and am now wondering if ive bitten off more than i can chew! 16 foot ski boat which is basically sound but needs bringing into this century! two things i dont know how to tackle and would appreciate being pointed in right direction. The main hull is sound and original gel but i would like to change the color (it has a blue stripe as part of the gel coat which looks very out of date!) Can it be successfully painted?<br />Secondly , the hull above the rubbing strip has been coated in like a stipple effect, this is peeling on the horizontal surfaces and flakes off here quite easily, but on the vertical section, about 3 inches deep, it is stuck like ****to a blanket! Having started to remove it i'm now committed but feel a bit out of my depth as to how im going to make it look good again! I know this has probably been covered before but some basic help would be appreciated. thanks steve

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: STARTED SOMETHING TOO BIG?

Steve,<br /><br />I started a project a few months ago and for quite a while I was starting to feel like I was making it worse looking than it was to begin with. Well, now that things are starting to go back to gether, It's starting to look better and better and I'm really starting to be proud of what I'm doing.<br /><br />You can do it. Just stick with it and you'll "Get her done!".<br /><br />Good luck with it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by STEVE.D:<br /> hello fellow boaters. Ive bought a winter project and am now wondering if ive bitten off more than i can chew! 16 foot ski boat which is basically sound but needs bringing into this century! two things i dont know how to tackle and would appreciate being pointed in right direction. The main hull is sound and original gel but i would like to change the color (it has a blue stripe as part of the gel coat which looks very out of date!) Can it be successfully painted?<br />Secondly , the hull above the rubbing strip has been coated in like a stipple effect, this is peeling on the horizontal surfaces and flakes off here quite easily, but on the vertical section, about 3 inches deep, it is stuck like ****to a blanket! Having started to remove it i'm now committed but feel a bit out of my depth as to how im going to make it look good again! I know this has probably been covered before but some basic help would be appreciated. thanks steve
Some pictures would help, steve.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There are a variety of paints intended specifically for boats, pretty user friendly, and give good result. You can do it, I've been through worse....

Realgun

Commander

JasonJ I got boat envy. :) I am finally at the stage where you start putting things back! As to pealing stuff on the side just use sandpaper and a elbow grease. Watch, The Karate Kids Wax on/off demomstration. :) Really use a 180 grit paper in a long block and you should be able to remove the **** <stuff even from a blanket. As to painting. You have some good polyurethane stuff that is either 1 part for above waterline or 2 part for below. Remember this if you scratch up the surfase you can get some filler and make it smooth then paint. <br /> Here is some paint.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Good advice so far.<br /><br />All I could add is get a power sander, a decent size bunch of sandpaper, and go after blocking it down to a flat surface somewhere in the middle of the factory finish.<br /><br />And, have some sandwiches and something to drink close by. You'll be there awhile.<br /><br />Once that's done, put a good quality epoxy primer on it--- cheap stuff doesn't like to stick to fiberglass or jelcoat for more than a year or two.<br /><br />Go up from there like you were re-painting a car using good quality auto paints/primers.<br /><br />Just bear in mind; the paint industry is like all the rest--- the Whiskey, the cigar, the auto, the steak business, etc. , etc.,, you get what you are willing to pay for in respect to quality.