chaparral 190 ssi prop

711gator

Cadet
I just bought a 2004 chaparral 190 ssi with a 4.3 gxi (225 hp) it has a volvo penta sx drive with 1.79 gear ratio and the boat weighs 2900 lbs empty from what I understand. the current prop is a michigan rapture 14.25 x 21. The boat is hitting the rev limiter at 5200 rpm with 3 people and a full tank of gas. does anyone have this same boat and if you do what prop are u running? or does anyone have a sugestion on a prop to bring the wot down to around 4800 which is what is max rpm is suposed to be.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: chaparral 190 ssi prop

23 pitch prop would be the next to try.

711gator

Cadet

That was my thought too but dont know what to buy for this kind of boat to get good performance out of it. We only cruise the river with it. No water sports or tubing. would like good speed and still have hole shot if possible. I want ss so it would be a lot of money to buy one and it not work well on this style of boat

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yes I have that same boat but not the GXI. I'd step up to the 23" as a start. If you start pulling then you may have different needs. You will want to always carry a spare prop and hub and tools to change anyway. It is actually 2900 dry with the 3.0 liter and heavier as you go to the top 5.0 MPI engine option. It was the heaviest 18 foot br for a long time running. If this is your first boat, you couldn't have picked a heavier built/quality small bow rider literally in that era.

711gator

Cadet

This is my first bowrider. what prop do u use on yours?

jestor68

Commander

If you visit the prop section, you'll see two 23 pitch Volvo(aluminum) props offered; a 3 blade and a 4 blade. Take your pick, as either one will perform as well as a SS prop at a third the cost.

And free shipping. :)

711gator

Cadet

Thanks ill check them out but was really looking for a ss performance prop. one i can get the most out of. the cost is not a factor. would like to get as much speed as possible.

jkust

Rear Admiral

This is my first bowrider. what prop do u use on yours?

Because I visit many lakes, some unfamiliar I stick with Aluminum. I have Turning Point Hustlers, 3 blade 21" props. When I go to a familiar lake, I take 2 minutes and put one prop on when I'm still at the cabin and when I go to an unfamiliar lake, I put one on that is just slightly dinged. The difference for me is I have 190 hp and I'm just not going to hit the limiter like you are.

711gator

Cadet

If 21 pitch works good for you then maybe 23 will work good for me being I have extra 35 hp. just dont want to lug the engine. I'm assumeing 21 pitch keeps you around the 4800 rpm range at wot. I need to drop about 500 rpm and maybe 2 inch in pitch will do that. i just hope it dont drop 800 or 900 rpm. thanks for your help

jkust

Rear Admiral

If 21 pitch works good for you then maybe 23 will work good for me being I have extra 35 hp. just dont want to lug the engine. I'm assumeing 21 pitch keeps you around the 4800 rpm range at wot. I need to drop about 500 rpm and maybe 2 inch in pitch will do that. i just hope it dont drop 800 or 900 rpm. thanks for your help

Fully loaded, 33 gallons of gas, 4 of us, tons of gear, I'm at 4850. And that is trimmed up to an illegal level. Only when I unload it can I dream about the rev limiter and only with the stock prop I no longer use. The cupping and features of the Hustler don't let me get to the same rpm's or speed of the no-frills Black Max prop that came on the boat when it was new. You may get out of the hole a bit slower but it should bring you right back into correct wot. The biggest thing the MPI has over the Carb (because the HP of 190 is arguable low by some anyway for marketing purposes which I don't know either way except the curves I've seen) is the instant throttle response and of course not needing to warm the engine up before a cold take off like we did in our cars in 1984. Obviously other great benefits as well with MPI as well.

This boat really needed the 5.0 MPI option that I wished I had gotten. It is so crazy nice it really should have the power to match. 270HP and huge torque for an 18 foot three inch boat excluding the swim platform is a lot of power but the boat weighs in some cases a thousand pounds more than other 18 foot bowriders yet is usually powered with the same 4.3.

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would give the Turning Point Patriot prop in 14.5x23 a shot. It's their 3 blade stainless, and if you want good power and speed, then you are better off with a 3 blade. I run their Express, which is a 4 blade, and it is quite aggressive.

711gator

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. just talked to the guy at remco, they do prop mods and after talking to him it is trial and error. every prop acts different, he basicly said to find the right prop that i would need to get 20 props and try them all and see what i like. he said he could mod my 21 pitch prop and make it do what i want for 129 dollars and if it still isnt right he will make adjustment 1 time for free. so i just need to decide what way i want to go.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the input guys. just talked to the guy at remco, they do prop mods and after talking to him it is trial and error. every prop acts different, he basicly said to find the right prop that i would need to get 20 props and try them all and see what i like. he said he could mod my 21 pitch prop and make it do what i want for 129 dollars and if it still isnt right he will make adjustment 1 time for free. so i just need to decide what way i want to go.
If I were you, i'd poke my head over the Chaparral factory owners forum if you haven't done so already. Those guys own only Chaparrals and there's a good handful with the 190SSi there. End of the day it is a better than great boat, but never going to be a speed demon like most other bowriders of that era that are so much lighter and less robust.
I would definitely keep your prop as is and buy a second however you plan to do it just to have that extra set up with you. I keep my extra prop, hub, washer, lube, 2 wrenches 1 floating, 1 adjustable, and a 2x4 in the port side, enclosed storage next to the engine since it all fits in the box the prop came in.