72 evinrude starting problems

Joshuapearl

Recruit
trying to wake up a 72 motor thats been sleeping for over 4 years, had it turning over and everything, then all of a sudden nothing, jumped the starter it works, jumped the starter solenoid it unstuck turned over a couple more times then nothing, so i replace it and i still have nothing, any suggestions?

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 72 evinrude starting problems

Welcome to the forum! Did you replace just the solenoid? If yes, then it is the starter itself or the wiring to it. Try removing and cleaning the wiring. If still no-go you can take the starter in to a starter/alternator shop and have it tested. Rebuilding is possible but sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new one.

Edit: you should clean all the wiring all the way back to the battery as well.

Joshuapearl

Recruit

Welcome to the forum! Did you replace just the solenoid? If yes, then it is the starter itself or the wiring to it. Try removing and cleaning the wiring. If still no-go you can take the starter in to a starter/alternator shop and have it tested. Rebuilding is possible but sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new one.

Edit: you should clean all the wiring all the way back to the battery as well.

Starter was working fine, and i can jump it from the battery to the starter pole and it will work. I was looking online at the starter switch lock out and trying to figure out what that does.
By the way thanks for the welcome.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is cranking but not firing it could be either ignition or carburation. My money is on carburation as it was running(?) then stopped but still cranks. (At least I think that is what you are saying) The neutral start switch disables the starter so if it is cranking now then it isn't that switch. Do you have a model number or even the horsepower rating? I can't help you much without knowing what motor it is.

Joshuapearl

Recruit

If it is cranking but not firing it could be either ignition or carburation. My money is on carburation as it was running(?) then stopped but still cranks. (At least I think that is what you are saying) The neutral start switch disables the starter so if it is cranking now then it isn't that switch. Do you have a model number or even the horsepower rating? I can't help you much without knowing what motor it is.

its a 72 Evinrude 65hp i was getting it to crank, and i could get it to run, but i have a fuel line problem some where so it would stay running but before i could check it that, it stopped turning over, turn key and nothing from the starter...carb solenoid will engage and electric choke will work but turn the key and the starter is not doing anything....

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

... Ok then. If the starter is NOT working when you turn the key but you can jump it, it is either the ignition switch, the neutral switch or the wiring. Bypass or jump the neutral switch and see if it will crank.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clean up all your connections,particularly battery to solenoid and battery to ground,they need to clean bright and shiny.If that doesn't do it we move to the next step.That will be strip and rebuild the carburetor,kit available right here at Iboats.Would also be a good idea to do a compression check.Anything over 100psi would be fine but they should be within 10% of one another.Get a spark tester(under $10 at autozone or O'reillys .Nice fat spark should jump at least 3/8 of an inch in open air.Come back when all done.