Decisions decisions....

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In the market for a new head unit. I got 4 of the 6.5" inifinity over the winter, and now need a HU to drive them. I've had my eye on the Clarion M303. Was doing some reading and came across the Kenwood 550U and 555U units. I like the fact that they have 6 preamps, because to be honest, I expect to need a bit more power (RMS 18 watts for the clarion, and 22 watts for the Kenwood), and am thinking I will probably add a sub at some point.

Then, inadvertently I came across the non-marine Kenwood KDC-BT555U, which has Bluetooth, which is the main reason for my lust on the Clarion M303 (that and their excellent reputation).

Here's my question... stereo will be mounted inside a weather resistant box in the dash of the port side of my Bayliner Capri 2050LS bowrider. The stereo that's in there now is a Sony non-marine unit and it's lasted as long as I've had the boat (6 years). Boat is used nearly exclusively on freshwater lake, docked at the town Marina.

M303 - ~$190
KRM-555U ~$150
KDC-BT555U ~$115

Seems to me that at 60% of the cost of the M303, I get the Bluetooth connectivity I'm looking for and the 6 preamps I want. I'd even be willing to pull the sucker out of the boat in the winter to minimize the heating/cooling condensation for 9 months of the year.

No-brainer?

P.s. Isn't aggravating that the functionality is available out there, but just not in the "marine" grade lineup? grrrr....

agallant80

Commander
Re: Decisions decisions....

I used non marine radio units before and never really have had an issue with it. I would be carefull with people touching it with wet hands but besides that I would not worry about taking it out and putting it back in.