Where is the model numberr for a 9.9 HP 2 Cycle circa 1995

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found an identification plate on the port side of the engine on the transom mounting bracket. It show:

682 L 386490 Where each group of numbers is in a "field" allocated on a horizontal line (one line).

Th engine could be older than 1995, this is my guess. The shift lever is on the Starboard side - I note on the 1998 engine the shift lever is on the Port and in front, not back mid-ship on the engine compartment.

Also, and posted previously I can not find the location of the Pilot (Pee) hole and wonder if this engine has one to show cooling water is being pumped. The cooling water intake is also unclear, I do find what looks to be an intake on the underside of the ant-cavitation plane just above the prop. On a test run this engine did not produce the expected cooling confirmation stream (Pee stream) I am familiar with. I do obsere there is a "hole" in the rear of the lower unit housing up near the engine that may be a plugged Pilot hole, does anyone know?

Yamaha provides user manuals back only to 1998, and that engine has a Pilot Hole on the bottom Starboard of the engine compartment, and cooling water intakes on the sides of the lower unit just above the anti-cavitation (I believe). It also has the shift lever in front and on the Port side, unlike the engine I have and assume to be a few years older.