Any experiences with catastrophic hull failure?

oldshore

Cadet
Many of the rebuids here are on 20-30+ year old hulls. I understand how a deteriorated stringer system can lead to hull failure Has anyone encountered hull failure due to this?
How about hull failure with sound stringers & transom?
I imagine flexing/pounding on a hull could result in water intrusion through cracks and delamination -> catastrophic failure.
Any thoughts or experiences?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any experiences with catastrophic hull failure?

Just made a sweet score on Craigs list. The transom had just been replaced and the stringers were sound. The hull was cored below the water line. The roller trailer had cracked the strakes and the aft two feet of the hull delaminated when he hit 50 MPH. The boat was around a 92 never did look at the HIN. He had just replaced the transom, rebuilt and warmed up the 502 and resealed the Bravo 1. I originally thought it was storm damage. Scored the 502 and bravo and brought a Checkmate Enforcer back to life.

oldshore

Cadet

Coring below the waterline = recipe for disaster, imho

oldshore

Cadet

So how are you repairing the cored hull? I would assume the outter skin is thinner? Cut back past healthy core material, replace core material (balsa?) and reglass? How about the inside hull glass?