Spun prop hub - replacement advice?

Andy82

Cadet
Hey, I'm pretty sure I have a spun prop hub. I just bought the boat, and the prop is pretty dinged up, so I figure I should go ahead and replace it and be sure everything is working right. I'm running an 1988 OMC 4.3L with OMC Cobra. I've spent several hours trying to answer the questions below, but I'm very new to boating and it's a bit daunting. I figured it'd be best to ask for some expert advice.

I have several questions:
  • Could anybody please advise me on which prop and hub kit I should consider? Currently I'm thinking Aluminum to try to keep the cost a little lower.
  • I read that there are some props that allow the hub to be exchanged more easily in case of failure. Is this a good way to go?
  • What pitch/diameter should I be looking at?

My other threads regarding the boat are here and here.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spun prop hub - replacement advice?

i would start with the size prop you have as its hard to make adjustments if you dont know the starting point. aluminum is cheaper and hopefully would sacrifice itself before outdrive destruction occurs, stainless steel props are more durable and perform a little better. prop diameter you want as large as you can fit without hitting the cavitation plate, prop pitch should be whatever it takes to get the rpms into the operating range at wot, thats wide open throttle, also the hub can be replaced on the removable ones

jestor68

Commander

Remove the prop and determine it's size(diameter X pitch). The size should be stamped somewhere on the prop's hub(front or back).

Given your boat's weight(4400 lbs); with a 4.3L I would expect something like a 17 or 18 pitch, depending upon the drive's gear ratio.

I'm thinking something like a 15.5 X 17 should work. A Solas Amita(aluminum) would be cost effective.

A on the water test will be required to make sure the engine turns up to the recommended(4400-4800) rpm range.

Cptkid570

Ensign

A 24' boat with a 6cyl engine is a little underpowered, so you will have to go with a prop that has a low pitch. As Jestor68 said. You will probably want to go with a 15x15 or a 15x17. Aluminum is cheaper, but stainless will give you a little more power, which is something you may need.

OMC props are something you can find used. You may consider buying a used prop at first to save some money while you figure out which prop you ultimately want.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It may be cost effective to have the prop repaired and rehubed.
Buying used can be a little risky,you don't know if its any better than your present prop under the paint.
If you can return it it may be worth a try.

Andy82

Cadet

After several days of looking/reading/researching, and all the awesome advice here more than anything, I think I've set my mind to the Hustler propeller shown below. Turn out my propeller model number is right on the back just like jestor said; it's 391535, a 15.5 x 15 prop. Everyone I've talked to (again, like jestor said) seems to be saying it's a heavy boat for the 4.3L engine. That means I should propably (get it?) go stainless, but I just can't justify the money at this point. Since the engine is under powered, I understand it may put additional wear onto the prop hub, so that is also part of the reason I've decided to go with the Hustler prop, because of the durable, yet interchangeable, hub.

Prop setup.jpg

So, just wanted to see if anybody had anymore feedback on my plan of action.

Also wanted to say thanks for all the help so far.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like a good prop for the money - I would say you definitely are good to stay the same pitch and go new... rehubbing and repair will put you about $100-120 is my guess.... if it wasn't for the hub spinning I would say repair as they do come out nice when repaired.