Carburator Help!

yellowducktape

Recruit
I have an 1979 evinrude 100 hp I rebuilt the carbs and evidently messed up some where. When I first cranked up the motor it ran great for about 3 or 4 minutes, then quit. it is leaking excessive fule out of the front of the carbs. I double checked the needle and float all looked well. any sugestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburator Help!

Either the float level is wrong, the floats are upside down, or the float needle valves are worn.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

yellowducktape

Recruit

Thank You, I will check them tomorrow. when I installed them I held the carb upright and leveled the float with the carb. So You are saying I need to hold it upside down with the float hanging down away from the bowl and the n level it, or slightly higher than the end.?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Thank You, I will check them tomorrow. when I installed them I held the carb upright and leveled the float with the carb. So You are saying I need to hold it upside down with the float hanging down away from the bowl and the n level it, or slightly higher than the end.?

Sorry... I don't understand what you're describing. What I am saying is simply what I inserted in post #2. I can't think of a simpler way to explain it.