trailer help please

paidfor01

Cadet
I have a 19' cuddy. I bought this trailer and fit my boat to it. Is this trailer still to long for my boat? Do the axles look to be in the right place? And how long should I shorten the tongue? I had thought about moving everything up to the rounded part and cut the rear and move axles.

IMG-20130610-00303.jpgIMG-20130610-00302.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: trailer help please

Appearance means nothing, long trailers are much easier to back up, adjust the axles to get the proper tongue weight. However the axles do look to far to the rear, must have an awfull lot of tongue weight. Tandem axles can get by with less tongue weight than a single axle, but in your case it appears that you will be starting from scratch so might as well do it right.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I doubt it is too long. I agree the axles look a bit far back.

You need to determine the GTW and the tongue weigh. Also tow it a time or two to see how it tows.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I agree the axles look to far back,, Dont know if you have breaks on that trailer? dont see surge break coupler.. if you dont have breaks, better install some..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You also need a safety chain from the bow eye to the trailer frame. In an emergency stop or, worse, a collision, that boat could end up in your back seat or pickup bed.

Where the axle cradle should be depends on the tongue weight. I have seen them that far back on a trailer hauling an I/O or inboard that is very heavy. Set it for tongue weight 7-10% of total weight.

paidfor01

Cadet

Just weighed the boat and trailer. It is a whopping 2850lbs. I also noticed that it was dog legging to the right while i was taking it to get weighed. I also had an idea of cutting the rounded area out and welding the tongue from the straight cross member. I took the total weight 2850 and multiplied by 5% which is 142.5lbs. Does this sound right for a tongue weight?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

it doesn't that long but it looks like the axles need to really move forward.

LK

paidfor01

Cadet

After a day "off" I have managed to move everything up towards the front. I have a 300lb tongue weight now. Which calculated out to 10%. I still need to move the end roller up and raise the front roller. But, this is what it looks like now.

IMG-20130612-00306.jpg