carburator overfilling?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 40 h.p. 1962 Evinrude selectric motor, 2 cyl. I need to mix my oil with the gas. The motor runs perfect! It starts very easy, and runs great. When it is warmed up, it takes just one revolution of the motor for it to be running. Purrs like a kitten!! Now the problem:

There is gas/oil mixture that leaks out of the front of the carburetor, through the screen attached to the front of it, and leaks (drips occasionally) into the engine compartment, then into the lake, making a beautiful rainbow all around me. If the carburetor is overfilling with gas, shouldn't the motor run bad?? The only thing I ever did so far to try to correct it was to add a gas additive to clean the carb, and the last tankful of gas, I added seafoam to it to try and clean the carb or possibly get the sticking float loose. But again, the motor runs like a new motor but just has this gas leaking out the front of the carb. Anyone know what may be causing this? By the way, I am using a LOT OF GAS because of the leak (I think).

satanclause

Seaman Apprentice
Re: carburator overfilling?

The float press on a needle valve at the top. Take that apart and Clean it. You most likely have some dirt up there. Then get a fuelfilter and put on the fuel hoase if you dont have One. If it's sand or rust from the gastank fuel addetives cant desolve that.

/Thomas

iggyw1

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're taking the carburetor apart anyway, I'd go ahead and get a parts kit and change out all of the gaskets. The kits usually have a new float and valve.

iggyw1

Its just weird that it runs so nice with the carb flooding and leaking out. I will rebuild the entire carb when I have it out.

lindy46

Captain

Float may need a slight adjustment. Sounds like it's closing the valve when the bowl is too full. Bend the float arm down slightly from parallel (or up from parallel when carb is upside down - the usual position when adjusting) and see what happens. That will close the valve sooner when the bowl is less full.

satanclause

Seaman Apprentice

I would say that it don't sound like that. Under my 30 years as a mechanic engineer i have never seen a funktional carburator that
All of a sudden start to flood and the float arm has been
Bent by magic ;-)

iggyw1

Thanks again all. I am going to take the carb off, take it to a shop where they will rebuild it for me (or I may do my own work if it looks easy).

kodibass

If the float is closing the needle in its seat properly the gas can not pass that point. replace the needle and seat and adjust as lindy46 mentioned.

lindy46

Captain

A simple test to see if the needle is closing fully or the float is hanging up, take the carb off, drain the gas, and turn the carb upside down. Now blow into the gas inlet. No air should pass. Turn the carb right-side up and blow - air should pass. If it passes the test, then there is no crud keeping the needle from closing and the float needs adjusting.

iggyw1

That sounds easy enough to check it out. Thanks again.