94 88 spl tilt/trim issues.

wht07se

Seaman Apprentice
Here is what im experiencing, my boat has sat for about two seasons under a cover out of the elements. I pulled it out yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. I trimed the motor up and everything was great. I went to trim down and nothing... the relays are both good and you can here the motor engage, i have tested all electrical with a meter and alls well. I could not get the motor down and didnt know about the manual release valve(till after i found my manual) so i opened the fill plug and pushed the motor down to the trim rams.

I then put the fill plug back in and opened manual valve and moved the unit up and down the entire cycle of the tilt ram but i cant get the trim rams to budge. Is there anyway to move them manually? I have also topped off the fluid with correct fluid and still cant get any movement out of the unit.

I did notice that if manually tilt up all the way, support on support foot, tighten the manual valve back tight then help the motor will activating the up down button on side of motor it will try to move up and try to move down when the correct button is pushed. I am at a loss of what to do, the omc manual is not much help. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bryan

wht07se

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 94 88 spl tilt/trim issues.

Surely someone has an idea. I know I not the only person to experience this problem

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 88 spl tilt/trim issues.

You may need to pull the two trim rams out for an inspection. You'll need a spanner wrench to do this. Once you get into this system, you might want to be working from a factory service manual. Checkout this website: outboardbooks.com