Painting Plastic

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been trying to paint some Plastic from so called plastic barrels. The paint does not stick. I tried some "Fusion" paint for plastic. It does not stick. Tried sanding and power wire brush. Nothing helps. Could this "plastic" actually be something like Nylon?<br />I make hatch covers, but dont like the black or blue.<br />Any suggestions for a painting process.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />Fitz.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Painting Plastic

I think they are a version of nylon. I haven't found anything to stick to them either except when you don't want it to--- like overspray.<br /><br /><br />Somthing you might try is go to a auto paint store and ask for a spray can of 'Adhesion promoter'. Its what the body shops use to spray on plastic car bumpers to soften the bumper a little so the paint will bond.<br /><br />No big promises, but if it doesn't work, not much else will either except maybe heating it first.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

The barrels are probably polypropylene or a similar plastic, in which case almost nothing will stick! You can get special paints for these types of plastic, but in my experience they don't stick for very long, especially if the item is handled a lot as your hatch covers will be.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Like they said, polypropelene...related to teflon...nostick...just a thought :)

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all,<br /><br />I will try a few more things as suggested and will post back if any success.

Bondo

Staff member

Fitz,<br />This just Might apply......<br /><br />When applying Kevlar Skidplates to Polypropylene canoes with Epoxy resin,<br />After the plastic is sanded,<br />it's got to be Polarized.......<br />This is accomplished by playing a Propane Flame over the surface.....<br />The Smallest, Bluest part of the Flame must touch the plastic..... Somehow changes the plastic.....<br />Don't Heat the plastic...<br />Don't Melt the plastic.....<br />Don't Even Warm the plastic......<br />Just Touch the plastic with the littlest, bluest part of the Flame.......<br /><br />I'm thinking, Maybe, Epoxy Paint on a Properly Prepared surface, Just Might Stick..........<br />Good Luck....