Need help with setting float height with Holley 2300 Carb

Rocky-balboata

Recruit
I have a 2004 Larson with a 3.0 liter volvo penta power plant. The 4 cylinder uses a Holley 2300 carburetor.

I need to set the float height but all the Holley instructions say to adjust the float height is to remove the sight plug. However there is no sight plug on this carb. SO how do you set the float height.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with setting float height with Holley 2300 Carb

What's the full model number of your engine, or the serial number.

Rocky-balboata

Recruit

I have a 2004 Larson with a 3.0 liter volvo penta power plant. The 4 cylinder uses a Holley 2300 carburetor.

I need to set the float height but all the Holley instructions say to adjust the float height is to remove the sight plug. However there is no sight plug on this carb. SO how do you set the float height.

Engine is : 3.0 GLM-C 3869249 40/212D698

I have reset the float using a 7/16" drill. The carb was rebuilt last year and I just installed a new power valve (25).

This carb uses a center float style which indicates that it is a 3/2bbl Holley.

My problem now is that the engine runs best rpm with the needle valves closed. So this indicates a power vavle problem or maybe a float too high ? I think I need a comprehensive directions here but its hard to find them with Holley.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is Holly's 2300 float adjustment instructions. Not exactly detailed but it's something I guess. Was the original power valve you removed a 25 also?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here are the specs from the OEM service manual.

3.0GL-B/C Models------Volvo Penta #3863240 ---- 500 CFM Model 2300-2V
Pump Lever Clearance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.010-0.015 in. (0,254-0,381 mm)
Choke Unloader . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.300 in. (7,62 mm) Measured Lower Edge of Plate
Choke Setting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Notches Lean
Initial Idle Mixture Setting1 . . . . . . . . . 3/4 Turn Off Seat
Main Jet - Port . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 72
Main Jet - Starboard. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 71.1
Power Valve . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5
Float Setting . . . . . . . . . . . Parallel to Fuel Bowl When Bowl Inverted
Choke Vacuum Qualification . . . . . . . . . 0.365 in. (9,3 mm) Measured At Lower Edge of Plate
Pump Cam Position (blue cam) . . . . . . . . No. 2 Hole of Cam and Throttle Arm

Here is how the manual shows to adjust the float level.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Float adj.jpg
    Float adj.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 23

Rocky-balboata

Recruit

Hello Don,

Reset the float height and it did not really work well.

The instructions are not very accurate since my eye can see various points called "level"

I am going to replace the fuel pump since this was not touched when the new engine was installed.

I am also going to call Holley too. Holley installed three different type of floats. One is easy to spot which is brass. The other ones are both plastic and both have different settings.

Whats frustrating is I know how to do this and what I did should work.

Wolf pack

Cadet

Hi Rocky,
I have a Holley 2300 I just rebuild. I really didn't mess with any adjustment to the float. It looked ok to me when i took it
apart, so I installed it back the same way. I did get several different gaskets in the kit, so I was add odds which on to use.
Anyway, after I installed the carb I fired it up. It did take several cranks & I was beginning to wonder if I rebuilt the carb
right. The engine finally started and ran pretty good! I was surprised. I pretty much left all then settings as is when I took
the carb apart. I still have to run the boat at sea to test the carb! Good Luck Rocky!

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

"My problem now is that the engine runs best rpm with the needle valves closed. So this indicates a power vavle problem or maybe a float too high ? I think I need a comprehensive directions here but its hard to find them with Holley."

Are you using RPM to set the needle valves, or a vacuum gauge? Each needle should be set independently to achieve max vacuum. You can get a cheap gauge set w/ hoses/fittings even at harbor freight that will let you connect straight to the 2300 to set your needles. There are some volvo manuals that will show you full diagnostics based on the max amount of vacuum you can achieve by adjusting the needles. And your float, when inverted, (if it is a center hung float), should be centered in the middle of the fuel bowl w/ the adjustment (according to the holley rebuild manuals that came w/ my 2300, and yes they are the marine settings). The pic and directions Don gave are correct; the pic is just a bit misleading and shows the float biased towards what would be the top of the bowl.

Hope this helps a bit; when I rebuilt mine, I found all the settings were way out of spec's....

https://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Adjusting Your Carburetor.pdf