Timing On A Trailer

Hooty

Rear Admiral
The timing spec. for my '76 200hp 'rude is 28 degs. BTDC.<br />When using the Dhadley method of timing on a trailer, is it safe to set the timing at 28 degs. BTDC, or would you retard it a degree or so too 26 or 27 degs.?<br /><br />Thx. & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing On A Trailer

Heres what we do. After the motor is broke in, we verify the timing. In the case of a crossflow like yours, 24 degrees. Make a run, and record RPM. Advance the stop 2 degrees (2 turns) and run again. IF it picks up RPM, then advance it 2 more turns. Recheck. IF it gains, leave it. That should be 28 degrees. If there is no improvement, then we back the stop down the last 2 turns.<br /><br />Also we do the primer trick while testing to make sure the motor isnt too lean in any RPM range.<br /><br />Have fun!

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty- I am sure I read in one of the many manuals that the engine timing and other adjustments were to be done with a test wheel. And if you had to do it in the water the boat had to be unrestrained! I think thats the differance between the test wheel and prop? Doing it on the trailer might get a different result.<br />I did this on my boat today I set the idle in gear tied to the dock and after the boat was untied it wasn't even close to being correct! On the trailer is the same as tied!<br />steve

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks Dhadley!<br />I owe ya.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty