'03 Mercury Bigfoot 25 long shaft on a fishing boat w/ 16.5" transom???

ncpi

Seaman
I have a chance to buy a 2003 Mercury Bigfoot 25HP Four Stroke (long shaft) and wonder if it would be appropriate on my 15.5' fiberglass fishing boat (Pedestal seating). The boat has a 16.5" transom. I can not measure the Merc as it is about 6 hours away from me, but I know its a long shaft and the specs say 20"

Is the long shaft too long for that transom?

Somewhere I read the Bigfoot is more appropriate for a Pontoon type boat. Is that really the case?

Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: '03 Mercury Bigfoot 25 long shaft on a fishing boat w/ 16.5" transom???

The engine will work properly but probably will need to install a 4"-5" high transom mount to raise engine leg to work as expected, must perform a trial and error water test as sitting a 20" engine as it is could produce unwanted over, out transom water splashes at speed and excessive water drag on lower tail.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Back Water Splashes.JPG
    Back Water Splashes.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The bigfoot is designed to push a heavy load at a lower speed and one issue people have when putting them on smaller light boats is finding a prop with the correct pitch. Check on available props before buying it.

ncpi

Seaman

I decided to pass. Seems like my transom really should have a short shaft and probably more for a pontoon then a fishing boat.