Adjustable wing on slalom ski fin

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the adjustable wing on a slalom ski fin supposed to tighten down so as to be immobile or should it be tight but adjustable without loosening the screws that hold it on?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Adjustable wing on slalom ski fin

Tighten down as to be immobile.

If you can adjust it, chances are it will move when skiing.

You can also go without until your starting to really need to slow down into the turns.

haulnazz15

Captain

If you aren't running a slalom course, I'd remove it entirely. It will just wear you out because its primary purpose is to help slow the ski down when making tight-radius turns (like going around a "ball" in a slalom course). If you do leave it on, try to set it as parallel/neutral as possible to the ski to avoid it having a ton of impact on your skiing until you decide to utilize it.

Side note: many professional skiers leave it off in the slalom course as well, as a matter of personal preference

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks folks. Connelly is going to replace it for me since it will not completely tighten up, but based on your comments I probably will not use it at all.

haulnazz15

Captain

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the horizontal wing that mounts to the vertical fin, not the vertical fin itself. The vertical fin is absolutely necessary for tracking/turning. Seen here:

connelly_outlaw_fin_w_wing.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

In the mid 70s I skied over a dropped ski and sheared the fin off( cheap ski with a screwed to the ski bottom fin ), suddenly it was very slippery.