First time boat owner. Advice and opinions

BadPapa

Recruit
Hello,
I have been combing over the site for about a week now and I figured it's time to join up. Looks like a wealth of knowledge and good attitudes around here.

Quick about me: I'm 41 and married with 2 kids (4) and (6). My wife and I have never owned a boat but spent time on the lakes growing up and as adults with friends. We are wanting to spend some time with each other and with the kids on the lake as almost all the memories of lake trips are great.

We are looking for a ski & fish combo. I don't know that much about what to look for when purchasing a used boat and I am trying to decide if I should buy a $8k -$12k used boat or buy new with warranty. Also I don't want to buy crap. I have heard Sea-Ray and Bayliner are decent boats but low end construction and parts. So far in my searches and internet education I have been looking at Chaparral and Chris Craft. I know there are a lot more options out there but this is just what I have seen the most of that aren't everyday junk.

So, opinions wanted. Buy used in my price range or new and take on a boat payment. We could do either and spend $24k roughly on a new boat. I would of course prefer not to have a payment.

Below is one I found online today that seems like a good place to start. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Ryan

Gorgeous 21' Chris Craft Bow Rider

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: First time boat owner. Advice and opinions

you'd be good in the 17-21 foot range, although there is a wide range of roominess in the hull designs. With small children you don't need a boat crowded with padded seats. Look for something rated for 6 so your children can bring friends.

also staying at the smaller end you can use a single axlew trailer which makes things easier and less expensive.

I would always take an outboard over an inboard. For starters, you don't have that box taking up room.

Unless you like spending your boat time not boating, avoid carpet and too much upholstery that requires covering, constant care, etc.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello and welcome !!! Just be sure of a couple of things. Don't buy anything with an obsolete engine/drive. And If you buy used always plan on having some extra cash for making it seaworthy. You are always going to need something no matter how "Lake Ready" they say it is. Also don't forget to consider your tow vehicle in the equation.

Good Luck !!

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We are wanting to spend some time with each other and with the kids on the lake as almost all the memories of lake trips are great.

Ryan; That's EXACTLY what has kept me boating over the years versus any other hobbies.

I like new boats; have purchased 3 of my boats new (including the current one). There are some advantages there....but....

Since you haven't actually owned a boat yet, I'd recommend used. That way, if for some reason you guys decide boating isn't really for you (it could happen) you won't lose as much money. Also, once you start boating you may decide that you'd be happier with some other type of boat. Again, if you buy new you'll take a bath on 1st year depreciation. Better to know exactly what you want (and that you'll be using it for years) before signing on the dotted line to buy new.

After that, one guy's opinion is as good as the next guy's. Brands, i/o vs outboards....they all have pro's and con's. The main factor in buying used is how well the boat was cared for and maintained.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might be best to build your personal checklist - before laying down an offer.

re:
- inboard or out board?
- 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
- More comfortable interior?
- More rugged interior - not worrying about scratches and nicks and dog claws?
- Only cursing & fishing? Or, lots of tubing as well?
- Do you favour certain engine brands - like Yamaha or Honda.
- Like flat bottom hulls - for shallow water?
- Like deep V hulls for smother ride - especially across choppy water?
- Is motor sound an issue? Some engines are very loud and some are super quiet - especially the 4 strokes.
- Environment impact (aka: green) a concern? If yes, go with a 4 stroke engine (for less smoke)
- Own winterizing and general engine maintenance? Do you like working on 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines?
- getting future parts are concern? If yes, go with common engine brands/
- Is fuel consumption a concern? If yes, go with 4 stroke. If not, go with 2 stroke.
- How about boat trailer items? I like "bunk" trailer the best. I like 2 x axle with small wheels compared to single axle with large size wheels.
- For trailer, I like LED lighting the best as well.
- For large family, do all of you go boating together? Or, do you only take a few family members at a time? Or, do your kids like to bring their friends as well? Thus, needing even larger 20-22ft boat with large engine?

Suggest taking lots of boats for a test drive. If seller says "no test drive" - then walk (run) away. After all, would you buy a used vehicle without a test drive? Always, always test drive - even if the seller drives the boat. One needs too hear and feel it in the water (not on muffs). Test drive (even if you pay $5 for test run gas consumption) or do NOT buy it. Suggest taking test drives from private sellers to "feel" the boat shape that feels best to you. Then, decide if you want to buy off a seller or dealer. Based on my region, "dealers" are selling for much higher price - than one can negotiate from a private seller. If you do buy "used" from a boat dealer, ask for maintenance records. And, ask to speak to previous owner as well. Thus, confirming why did previous owner selll or trade-in ??? What is the things they liked or didn't like about their previously owned boat.

Hope this helps.

tpenfield

Staff member

Hello Ryan:

So, you sent time on the lake growing up , but never got into boating. I guess now is the time.

Boater safety courses for you and the Mrs. would be good place to start if you have not done so already.

New boats are pretty pricey and warranties are only good if you don't have to use them :)

Your $$$ is better with a quality used boat and one that is in good condition. Most folks will tell you that the actual condition of a boat outweighs brand reputation, and that is true. However, there is quite a difference between a Chris-craft and a Bayliner. SeaRay is probably somewhere in between those 2.

The Chris-Craft pictured is worth a look. Have a Marine surveyor do a pre-purchase inspection on any boat that you decide to put an offer on. Father's Day is just a few days off, hopefully you will get some tools :thumb:

BadPapa

Recruit

Thank you all for the great feedback so far.

A boater's safety course is definitely in our future.

Great list of things to think about and i'm soaking it all in.

I'm making a list and generating as many answers as I can with my limited knowledge.

I called about that boat pictured. Guys says it's in great shape and the only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer. It is a 15 year old boat but he said it's as clean as a 15 year old boat can be. I know the "seller" will say whatever so I take it with a grain of salt. Good side is that he offered to take me out in it for a test run so that's a plus.

Is 460 hours on that engine a lot assuming that it's been taken care of the right way? He said he has a huge folder with all the records on it.

Also, is there a good site to find the value of a used boat. Like KBB is for cars?

Tpenfield: yea, my friends parents had lake houses and boats so I hung out with them growing up then an ex GF's parents had a lake house as well so spent a lot of weekends on the water.

lakegeorge

Thank you all for the great feedback so far.

A boater's safety course is definitely in our future.

Great list of things to think about and i'm soaking it all in.

I'm making a list and generating as many answers as I can with my limited knowledge.

I called about that boat pictured. Guys says it's in great shape and the only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer. It is a 15 year old boat but he said it's as clean as a 15 year old boat can be. I know the "seller" will say whatever so I take it with a grain of salt. Good side is that he offered to take me out in it for a test run so that's a plus.

Is 460 hours on that engine a lot assuming that it's been taken care of the right way? He said he has a huge folder with all the records on it.

Also, is there a good site to find the value of a used boat. Like KBB is for cars?

Tpenfield: yea, my friends parents had lake houses and boats so I hung out with them growing up then an ex GF's parents had a lake house as well so spent a lot of weekends on the water.

The hours are low for the year boat and if he kept the maintenance up I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. I would buy used, we have always done well when we sold our used boats to buy another used boat.
Good luck.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't usually say anything about typos and grammar--I make enough mistakes myself--but this one in Batman's list was just too good, almost Freudian:

"- Only cursing & fishing? Or, lots of tubing as well?"

haulnazz15

Captain

That Chris Craft is a nice looking rig. I know you mentioned "fish-n-ski", but how much/what type of fishing are you talking about? The reason is, that Chris Craft is capable of doing some trolling or deep-water stuff, but isn't really made to be casting the shorelines for big-mouth bass. The interior is also not very friendly to hooks and lures which will inevitably end up puncturing/tearing the upholstery. Again, it's not that you "can't" fish out of it, it just isn't designed to be used as much of a fishing platform.

However, if you want a great platform for your kids and a couple of friends for cruising and some water sports, the Chris Craft you pictured is an excellent runabout for that purpose. As far as brand names go, Cobalt and Chris Craft are about as luxurious/high-end as you can get in that style of boat. It has a tried-n-true engine/drive, the snap-in carpet is great for walking around on barefoot and easy to clean since it's removable. Take a test drive and have a mechanic look it over, if it passes inspection and meets your needs, I'd say jump on it.

BadPapa

Recruit

That Chris Craft is a nice looking rig. I know you mentioned "fish-n-ski", but how much/what type of fishing are you talking about? The reason is, that Chris Craft is capable of doing some trolling or deep-water stuff, but isn't really made to be casting the shorelines for big-mouth bass. The interior is also not very friendly to hooks and lures which will inevitably end up puncturing/tearing the upholstery. Again, it's not that you "can't" fish out of it, it just isn't designed to be used as much of a fishing platform.

However, if you want a great platform for your kids and a couple of friends for cruising and some water sports, the Chris Craft you pictured is an excellent runabout for that purpose. As far as brand names go, Cobalt and Chris Craft are about as luxurious/high-end as you can get in that style of boat. It has a tried-n-true engine/drive, the snap-in carpet is great for walking around on barefoot and easy to clean since it's removable. Take a test drive and have a mechanic look it over, if it passes inspection and meets your needs, I'd say jump on it.

Thanks for the insight.
Fishing would be minimal. Just teaching the kids and my wife likes to fish. It will be mostly for cruising around and swimming/tubing/skiing/boarding. But that is a good point. All that upholstery is sure to find it's share of hooks...ouch.

tpenfield

Staff member

460 hours is OK . . . About 30 hours per year of age on average . . .

The engine should go for a lot longer.

NADA.com or BUCValupro.com for boat values (BUC) is better than NADA, but costs a nominal fee.

SAMS and NAMS are the surveyor accrediting organizations.

emilsr

OMC owned the Chris Craft name at the time that boat was built and went into bankruptcy a couple of years later. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that particular boat, just that some years of Chris Craft boats are better than others. Don't get TOO hung up on brands as you'd need a scorecard to keep up with who built most of them.

A good surveyor can tell you if it's worth buying or not. That's all I'm really saying here.

phonfish

Cadet

Just my 2 cents worth: Have you looked at bowrider type boats? They offer more room. Poorly made boats often have excellent power plants. No matter what brand of boat or power plant you buy used, it all adds up to how well it was maintained. As a 23yr veteran of the USCGAUX, I have towed em all. Did not matter if it was a Bayliner or a Cobalt, they ALL break down.Usually it was due to lack of care that caused the tow. Look on Boat Trader at bowriders in NC, especially those used in freshwater. There are some within your price range. Good luck with your purchase.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't usually say anything about typos and grammar--I make enough mistakes myself--but this one in Batman's list was just too good, almost Freudian:

"- Only cursing & fishing? Or, lots of tubing as well?"

Cruising. Darn Spell Checker. It works like my wife. LOL!!!!

Downforce6

Seaman

Thanks for the insight.
Fishing would be minimal. Just teaching the kids and my wife likes to fish. It will be mostly for cruising around and swimming/tubing/skiing/boarding. But that is a good point. All that upholstery is sure to find it's share of hooks...ouch.

I was going to say the same thing. Not much of a fishing boat, if you're a serious fisher you wont be happy with a boat like that. They do make "Fish N Skis" Take a look at the Stratos.

If crusing and tubing and swimming and picnics on the lake is what you're really looking for, then thats the type of boat you want. (+1 for the bowrider as well) You can fish off that boat but its like camping in a car.

agallant80

Commander

Check out Charlene boats in Sanford nc. I am very happy with them. I loved my stingray that I bought from them

BadPapa

Recruit

I'm Baaack!
So it looks like i'm not going to make a purchase this year unless an unbelievable deal comes along. I am going to take my time and do my research and by something when the season ends to try and save some money.

Another question I have is inboard vs. outboard. I like the idea of inboard with having the engine tucked away and a nice platform at the back for the kids to swim/ski off of but it would seem the outboard could save me significant money down the road should something go wrong. Is this accurate?

briangcc

Commander

IF you're going to be boating in shallow water, ie - fishing, then you'll probably want to be looking at an outboard boat. The motor tilts up higher than an I/O will. Also, outboards are cheaper to maintain than I/O's.

The flip side to I/O's is that they definitely ride a little better as the engine weight is lower in the boat. They also give you lots of sunpad space, bonus for the ladies in the family. Also an extended swim platform is now open to you. Just watch those extended swim platforms as you need grab handles to avoid missing a rung or two for the ladder. Ask how I know this...

Having owned both now, I'd personally go for an outboard again BUT, I can't find one that my wife and I can agree on with the ammenities we like (has to be same or better trim level than our current '05 Four Winns and at least 2' longer).

IF in the used market, stay the heck away from Force outboards. They're junk - I've owned one as it came on my Bayliner. I had that outboard a sum total of (1) year before I replaced it with a Honda 115. I absolutely LOVED that Honda and IF we were to find an outboard boat, this would be my power of choice. Both my uncles have Yamaha's and they're OK. My cousin has an older Evinrude and that pushes his boat around well.

All my family have had Mercury outboards and each and every one of them has repowered. Couple that with their galvanic corrosion issues on I/O's a while back and I won't go near a Mercury powered boat.

I'd be looking at Four Winns, Glastron, Bayliner, Tahoe, etc for new as they offer Fish & Ski models. I personally like new as you know the maintenance history on the boat as you're the original owner, there's a warranty so that any defects are addressed, etc.

dugfab

Recruit

" Also, outboards are cheaper to maintain than I/O's." Please explain. I am interested in learning.