Trailer tires on a 7" wide rim

blackrider

Seaman
Hey guys,

I just bought a 1989 Wellcraft 170 Classic and wanted to replace the crappy looking wheels and tires that came on the trailer. Rims were rusted to hell and the rubber was cracking in the sidewalls. I had some 14X7 rims in the basement that have never been used but look really good. So I took them to Major Tire the other day and had them install Carlisle ST205/75D14's. The load rating is 1760 per tire. I picked them up and I noticed they looked a bit funny. The sidewalls almost seem to be the same width as the rim. usually the rubber sticks out further than the rim.

I also noticed that the tire says a 5.5 rim but these are 7" rims!!! Should the tire place have not done this? Is this safe? I keep the boat only about 5 miles from the boat ramp and don't pull any long haulers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer tires on a 7" wide rim

If the tire shop did not follow the tire specs, then he should dismount them and refund you your money. Its such a shame that auto / boat / tire / "name your product" dealers just don't know anything any more, nor could they care.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Are the wheels themselves trailer wheels. Trailer wheels have zero offset whereas car/Truck wheels have either positive or negative offset depending on front or rear wheel drive. Yes - car rims look nice, but generally the offset is wrong as is the width and you end up with the problem you are now experiencing.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

My vote is get the correct rims for your trailer and sell the car rims

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to a size chart, 205s are recommended for a 5" min and 7" max width. IMHO, You are in the safe range ,but the looks suffered a little. As long as nothing rubs, I would run them.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you pulled with it yet. Looking at that picture I say the first bump you hit your tires are going to rub the wheel well.

blackrider

Seaman

I don't think they are specifically trailer wheels but I don't know how to tell. I doubt if they are because those rims are usually 5.5" to 6" wide. The wheel clearance does look tight but I pulled it over speed bump at about 20 MPH to test and no rubbing. Not quite sure what to do but I just want to ensure they are safe.

blackrider

Seaman

Are the wheels themselves trailer wheels. Trailer wheels have zero offset whereas car/Truck wheels have either positive or negative offset depending on front or rear wheel drive. Yes - car rims look nice, but generally the offset is wrong as is the width and you end up with the problem you are now experiencing.

Yes they are for trailers. P/N stamped on the back is for this rim.
14x7 Aluminum GBC2002 Trailer Wheel 5 Lug, 1900 lb Max Load, Free Shipping.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Ok then my vote would be to get skinny wheels.... not saying what you have is unsafe... I just would personally run narrow wheels.

likely the worst possible prob COULD be faster tire wear or a flat due to a bead getting knocked loose... neither is terribly likely

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

devil's advocate...

The wider rims will likely add more stability/less flex to the sidewalls. And sidewall flex is what kills trailer tires. You're in spec, you're done, now go enjoy the boat.

:)

blackrider

Seaman

devil's advocate...

The wider rims will likely add more stability/less flex to the sidewalls. And sidewall flex is what kills trailer tires. You're in spec, you're done, now go enjoy the boat.

:)

Ok, luckily we keep the boat about 5 miles from the dock and it is all highway at 55MPH. I am going to frantically relax now! Thanks guys.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

for what its worth i had a car with 14x7 rims and ran 205/70r14 tires for about 40K miles with no issues. agree run them you are in spec, although on the extreme end of it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Ok, luckily we keep the boat about 5 miles from the dock and it is all highway at 55MPH. I am going to frantically relax now! Thanks guys.

My dock is 5 miles as well, but the path is on side roads at 30 mph. I don't worry!. But I would if it was 55 mph. I see those crappy trailer tires fail on the freeway, but never in the city!

The thing here that grabs me is what the sidewall says. If a 7 is OK, why did the manufacturer print 5.5 on their product right where you could see it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

According to a size chart, 205s are recommended for a 5" min and 7" max width. IMHO, You are in the safe range ,but the looks suffered a little. As long as nothing rubs, I would run them.

Is that a generic "tire chart", or is it specific to ST tires? I wonder why the manufacturer specified 5.5?

blackrider

Seaman

Is that a generic "tire chart", or is it specific to ST tires? I wonder why the manufacturer specified 5.5?

I agree jim and this was what grabbed my attention. I will just keep a very close eye on the sidewalls for any signs of cracking. Maybe I will take the city streets instead of the highway.:facepalm: