Putting foam in

Realgun

Commander
I am at the point where I need to pour foam umder the floor.<br />1. I do not want to drill holes.<br />2. The areas are only along the sides of the hull to the stringer.<br /><br />The area is 12 feet long about 6 inches high and slopes to the sides of the boat to 0 inces right at floor boat interface.<br />There are 4 pieces of plywood no longer than 48 inches.<br /><br />If I mix in an 8-12oz plastic cup or a little bigger can I just put the cup in and the screw down the floor then let the foam push the cup toward the open area?<br />I want the foam to support the floor a little and create a good bond to the boat and floor.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Putting foam in

I haven't done mine yet, Realgun, but I don't think that will work. You'll get about 11/2 cups of foam mixed and it will go off on you before you finish the second one.<br /><br />I didn't like the idea of hole either, but I aquiesced. When done, I'll drill the foam out of the hole with a paddle bit, mix up some epoxy peanut butter, slather the plug, put it in and wipe it with a broad knife. That should end up as if there were never any holes to begin with.<br />Good luck.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I was filling a 6X48" area I would mix about a quart, and pour each section about 1 inch deep. If it does not come up to the height mix more and pour again, to desired height.<br />Take a belt sander the next day and shape the foam the way you want it.<br />After it cures it reminds me of basal wood.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I'd go with cc lancer. When expanding foam is used in home construction, they spray the stud bays then take a saw, lay it on the studs and shave the foam even with the stud surfaces. Pour your foam and saw down even with the tops of your stringers.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Realgun, at the last moment, I have decided to do it CCL's way. It may be messier but it will insure a better cavity fill than trying to pour the fast acting foam thru the little holes. I'll just have to epoxy all my little plugs back in.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Boomyal, the hole technique does work very well, and is a lot easier than hacking and sanding foam. I had absolutely no problem when I did mine, and I had simply put the plug in the hole when the foam started to come out. The key was placing the weight on the plug, when the weight is removed, the plug is in place. Glass over it and you are done. With the bow elevated, the foam expands and fills all nooks and crannies and does not spread out and create mountains and voids, without hurting anything. I know I have told you all this junk before, and it does work. I had been told this technique by a shop that does nothing but boat retoration and rebuilds, I am betting they probably have a decent idea on what works good and what doesn't. Hacking the foam to stringer top level will work, but I like the thought of the foam bonding to the underside of the floor panel as well as the rest. Just gives more structure and there is one less area where water can gather. I can just imagine water somehow getting on top of that foam and just staying there against that new floor. It makes me shudder.....

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you mix the foam parts they will turn a milky color as you stir. When the mixture turns dark it is starting to "react". From that point you need to be close to what ever you want to fill. I had a trail of foam dots on the workbench, across the floor, and into the boat. Just wanted to share that.

Realgun

Commander

JasonJ, no shudder needed I encapsulated all plywood with 2 coats of epoxy. on both sides and 4 on edges.<br />
20041058444436069777314.jpg
<br />See?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Mixing was fun. I did all my mixing at each hole. I had everything in the boat with me. I was so well prepared that the only thing I forgot was to wear surgical gloves. I had to chew the foam off of my fingers, but things went well otherwise :) .<br /><br />Good to see that Realgun. I had done the same thing on my rig. I am still paranoid though. Even a little rain water in the boat just brings all the memories of horror that I had repressed back into plain view again. My brain knows that I could leave the thing in the rain for years and not have it rot like before, but the black helicopter conspiracy theory paranoid X files side of me still thinks of the rot. Oh, the rot....(shudderrrrr)....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Is this what you were talking about Jason?<br /><br />
035796.jpg
<br /><br />Actually a horrible mess and the bays are still not full to the top. The area calculated out to about 5 cu ft, taking into consideration the bottles. I used all eight cubic feet to get to this point.<br /><br />The temperature was in the mid 70's so I put the cover on the boat and ran a space heater. It was 90 deg inside the boat when I poured. It's going to be another mess to get the depressions filled at least up to level with the stringers. You can't control the thickness when you pour out the liquid.<br /><br />I still have to do the rear eight feet, outboard of the outer stringers. I think I will nail the floorboards down and pour the foam thru the holes that I already drilled. <br /><br />My whole job calculated out right at 8 cu ft before the bottles. I'll have to order another round of foam. Grrrrr!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I should have sent you some of my 2.5 gallon jugs I have. I have a whole bunch of tripple rinsed herbicide jugs, nice and thick that I am saving for a potential future floor/foam project. Looks like you'll have a whole "mess" of fun, but at this point the light is at the end of the tunnel. You'll out runnin' her before you know it, and this whole foaming mess will be behind you. Good luck...

tgkBarney

Seaman Apprentice

The messiest job I think I've ever done! I poured in enough to overfill the voids- but then I was replacing stringers, floor, the whole thing... so it was all open. I then shaved it even with the stringers.<br /><br />By the way, I have an un-opened 8 cubic foot pack (I think? anyway it's 1 gal Part A, 1 gal Part B) that I don't need. Would be willing to work out a fair price with someone!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by tgkBarney:<br /> The messiest job I think I've ever done! I poured in enough to overfill the voids- but then I was replacing stringers, floor, the whole thing... so it was all open. I then shaved it even with the stringers.<br /><br />By the way, I have an un-opened 8 cubic foot pack (I think? anyway it's 1 gal Part A, 1 gal Part B) that I don't need. Would be willing to work out a fair price with someone!
I sent you an email chris.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by tgkBarney:<br /> The messiest job I think I've ever done! I poured in enough to overfill the voids- but then I was replacing stringers, floor, the whole thing... so it was all open. I then shaved it even with the stringers.<br /><br />By the way, I have an un-opened 8 cubic foot pack (I think? anyway it's 1 gal Part A, 1 gal Part B) that I don't need. Would be willing to work out a fair price with someone!

tgkBarney

Seaman Apprentice

hi Boomyal-<br /><br />Never did get the email from you!<br /><br />Chris<br />tgkbarney@msn.com

Realgun

Commander

Bomyal thats exactly what I do not want. !!! :) <br />I think I will try my method and see what happens. Worst case is I have to do it again. LOL

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Bomyal thats exactly what I do not want. !!! :) <br />I think I will try my method and see what happens. Worst case is I have to do it again. LOL
I wished that I had gone ahead with my original plan. Without confining the foam, it does what it wants and if you need to 'clean' it up, GOOD LUCK. This stuff seems to be more gnarly than the original foam. Good luck.

Realgun

Commander

Gnarly-a big sticky mess. LOL Or is that slang from the older generation. :) <br />Since my floor goes in in 4 pieces im thinking I will try to put the first part of floor in. That is the 15 inch pieces on each side. Then the next piece is 42". Next is 48" The front part does not get a complete chanel just 10 inces and vey shallow.<br />If the first part works I will continue, if it make a big mess I will break down and purchase a hole saw. Seem I bought 500 dollars worth of tool 10 more will not hurt. (Till the wife finds out.)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> I will break down and purchase a hole saw. Seem I bought 500 dollars worth of tool 10 more will not hurt. (Till the wife finds out.)
I hear ya on that, Realgun. I probably already had my $500 worth of tools but I have yet to tally up this foot high stack of receipts for this project.<br /><br />With limited space, I tell ya, I have been triping all over all of those $500 tools for the last few months. Now with the weather turning snotty, I've had to move unassembled bits and pieces into the garage. Floor parts, tools I don't yet want to stuff back into their cubby holes, compressors, fans, shop vacs, a roll of new vinyl flooring, resin bottles, CPES cans, oh and all my mechanical stuff that is waiting to get painted. Wife really loves that. Walk thru the garage at your own risk, Honey. I even had to move the seat assemblies and motor cover over to my father in laws garage. <br /><br />During most of the summer I was able to leave most all that stuff outside.<br /><br />Good luck with your foaming. Be sure to post some pictures. Misery does love company, ya know. ;)

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I hate to ask this but, what are the jugs for? <br /> And if you fill the boat with foam thru the holes, do you just add until it comes thru the holes? I don't want to add to much- mike