84 Rochester 2GC carb question.. need help

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 3.0L engine was running very rich and having issues with the float and what not, so I removed the carb from the engine and tore it apart to clean everything out and put back together. From my analysis, it would appear that someone at some time has tried to do a carb rebuild on this carb and must not have done it right. The engine ran, and seems "so so", but it was not running good by any means.

So I checked the float levels and adjusted those to the correct measurements. The float was installed upside down (black tip was making contact with the float. ha ha ha..

However I removed the check ball from under the screen in the accelerator pump and also removed the check ball from under the T located under the venturi.

When I put the 2 balls side by side, I can see that one ball is larger than the other ball. when I removed them, the larger ball was under the "T", and the smaller ball was in the accelerator under the screen. When looking in the carb with a light, I would imagine that the larger ball goes in the accelerator pump bay, and the smaller check ball goes under the "T". Am I correct in assuming this, and the last person to rebuild it put the wrong size ball in the wrong holes, or is it correct to have the smaller ball in the accelerator pump?

The 2 balls are the same color and look to be the same material, the only difference is the size of them?

thanks guys.

reddog12

Cadet
Re: 84 Rochester 2GC carb question.. need help

The larger ball goes under the tee, the smaller goes under the acc.pump